Question

Top Student
GEORGEC22
Message 1 of 8 (151 Views)

7520 pRINTER

I have recently purchased a 7520 Photosmart printer.  I had a 7280 Photosmart which was a great printer.  Unfortunately after 7 years it failed.

This new printer seems to have a  problem when set to duplex printing.   HP tech support has been unable to come up with a fix.

The problem is that even though the print quality is set to DRAFT the printer wants to wait about 8 seconds between each page.   My old 7280 did this, but only when set to higher print quality levels.  This delay problem makes the 7520 virtually unsable for day to day draft printing.   It would take forever to print a 40 page manual.

I do not want to print single page as that is too much paper to have to store.

Anybody know a fix for getting this delay out of the system.

George

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 8 (144 Views)

Re: 7520 pRINTER

Please read this post then provide some details. What operating system? 

You could probably use the Photosmart 7280 driver, the details will depend on your operating system.  Be aware that the delay is intended to give the page time to dry enough that the ink will not smear when the page is drawn back into the printer. 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
GEORGEC22
Message 3 of 8 (130 Views)

Hi Bob.  thank you for the reply.

The operating system is Windows 7, 64 bit.

Yes, I am aware that the delay is for ink to dry.  That is why I am specifying that the problem is in the draft mode.  My old 7280 did the same thing in normal or best mode.   In those modes more ink is used in the print and a wait for dry  time is necessary.    This was not true in draft mode for the 7280 and should not be true for the 7520.

Another thing that I have noticed is that there is very little difference between the three (draft, normal and best) modes when printing with the 7520.   When using the 7280 there was a very diftinct difference.    This may also account for the fact that my 7520 is going through black ink very fast.  After the black setup cartridge ran out of ink I replaced it.   This replacement cartridge only lasted 10 days.    I am not sure just how long the setup cartridge lasted because the computer was not used for 12 days when I was out of town.    I use a labeling gun to date all cartridges when they are replaced, but did not do the originals.

The driver softrware may well be the problem.  I hope not, as this would mean that the problem is in reality a design problem.   If it is a design problem then surely I am not the only one who has been having a problem with the way this printer operates.

How would you make the 7280 driver program work for the 7520 printer?  I ccan easily download the 7280 program again but have no idea of how to make the 7280 use it instead of the driver made for the 7520.

Again I thank you for the reply.   All and any suggestions will be greatgely appreciated.

George

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 8 (95 Views)

The Photosmart c7280 driver is probably still on your system.  You can try the following:  click Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the  Photosmart 7520 series, Advanced, New Driver,  Next,  select HP (not Hewlett-Packard), HP Photosmart C7200 series, Next, Finish, Apply, OK.

In the driver settings Advanced tab will be a setting for Dry Time, you can set this toward "less" if the defaults are not adequate.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Top Student
GEORGEC22
Message 5 of 8 (91 Views)

Good afternoon Bob.   Unfortunately I cleaned all of the old HP software off the computer and threw away the disk before I installed the 7520 software.  Did not want any conflicts.  

Do you thing downloading the 7280 software again would gain the same benefit?

George

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 8 (88 Views)

Yes, that is how I tested things.  You can download and run the installation, then when the installer cannot find the printer say that you will connect it later.

Top Student
GEORGEC22
Message 7 of 8 (77 Views)

OK I will try that.

Once I have the 7280 driver on my computer how do I tell the 7520 too use that driver instead of the driver it is currently using?

George

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 8 (72 Views)

The driver can be enabled as described in my post above.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation