Question

Student
srmc
Message 1 of 4 (256 Views)

8500 Disappearing

I have had my 8500 All in One for 18 mo and suddenly this past week it has disappeared twice and I have had to reinstall the software. It is wired directly to the router and my computer is Windows 7 Professional which I have had for 13 mo.

What is going on!

acz Top Student
Top Student
acz
Message 2 of 4 (188 Views)

Re: 8500 Disappearing

Did you ever find a solution?  My HP L7590 has just done the same thing.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 3 of 4 (183 Views)

Is it connected through the network?

If so, please install the following update:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-89191-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Fix/Enhancement:  Corrects an issue that causes the network connected printer to disappear from the system 

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
acz Top Student
Top Student
acz
Message 4 of 4 (176 Views)

OK, thank you for the suggestion.  But I must report that the program you suggested

which is called    

extracts, runs, and then reports as follows:

"This update does not support any of the HP device drivers that you have on your PC. You do not need this software update."

Now that makes no sense, but the random disappearance of HP drivers from my computer (and so many others reported in this forum and others) does not make any sense either.

By the way, should say that I could access the printer just fine by using its IP address on the local network.

Now, this printer/scanner/fax has worked pretty well for many many months with a fixed IP address on my network, and continues to work just fine from a different PC that has always connected to this LAN via WiFi.

However, I went back to the beginning, connected the L7590 to the PC using a USB cable, and re-installed this program:

» HP Officejet Pro Full Feature Software and Driver

2010-08-26 , Version:14.0.0, 385.25M

It completely hung up about half way through, just stopped and sat for many minutes without any error message.

I believe that others have posted a similar experience with this installation software, and someone with good hardware skills reported that the installer program simply stops talking to the printer in the middle of installation.

So I did have to do a hard reset, powered everything down and re-booted, and THEN my printer was working OK once again.  So whatever happens before the installer fails was enough to get up and running again.

By the way, I did run  CPE_SLP_NETWORKMSI_hpcom_000_006.exe

after that partial installation, just to see what would happen.  For example, I was hoping that perhaps it would prevent the next disappearance of the printer.  Unfortunately, the error message was repeated:

"This update does not support any of the HP device drivers that you have on your PC. You do not need this software update."

Well, that is interesting, HP made a "critical" update that will not recognize that it needs to make a change.

So I will continue to use the printer for the time being, but I must say that it seems nearly impossible that I would have the confidence to buy another HP product.

If anyone ever figures out the solution for this problem (reported over and over by users of various HP printers during the last two years at least) I would be happy to hear about it.  Good luck to us all.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation