After adding my Laptop to my Homegroup I cannot print from my Desktop to PhotoSmart c309a (362 Views)
Top Student
Charlie15
Message 1 of 17 (362 Views)

After adding my Laptop to my Homegroup I cannot print from my Desktop to PhotoSmart c309a

After adding my Laptop to my Win 7 Professional 64bit Homegroup my HP PhotoSmart c309a will not print. I ran troubleshooters and uninstalled and reinstalled my printer drivers. Still no printing. It will print form the Laptop, but not the Desktop it originally printed from. It is connected through my router via ethernet cable.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 2 of 17 (350 Views)

Re: After adding my Laptop to my Homegroup I cannot print from my Desktop to PhotoSmart c309a

Hi,

Is the printer connected wirelessly to the router? or is it via USB to one of the computers? Make sure that printers are shared in the Homegroup settings.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Top Student
Charlie15
Message 3 of 17 (346 Views)

Re: After adding my Laptop to my Homegroup I cannot print from my Desktop to PhotoSmart c309a

My Printer is connected via ethernet cable to the router ( Verizon Actiontec router). The Desktop ( which is the one that can't print) is also connected directly to the router via ethernet cable. My Laptop connects wirelessly through the router and has no problem. I have been using it this way for well over 2 years with no problem until 2 weeks ago. I connected my laptop to a new Homegroup to share some files easier and presto the printer stopped working on the desktop. I left the homegroup and played with all the sharing setting turning them on and off again, but no change. I can see the printer, the Fax works fine as well as the scanner, but no printing other than a test page from the printers toolbox. I cannot access the printer properties  ( this is when I get the error message) or print a test page from there if I exit the error message.

Top Student
Charlie15
Message 4 of 17 (345 Views)

I should add that I have also tried the automated diagnostics tools from both HP and microsoft, but all that tells me is that it either is or is not the default printer. At one point it told me there was a driver error, but since I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 6 times now, I don't think this is the issue.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 5 of 17 (338 Views)

Hi,

As a troubleshooting step, Add a new printer (Use HP Deskjet 5550 on the printer list) from control panel and use the TCPIP address of the printer as your port. Check if you can print.

Top Student
Charlie15
Message 6 of 17 (335 Views)

I just tried that and it does work.  Of course it doesn't support all the features of my c309a.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 7 of 17 (326 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

This at least verifies that there is nothing blocking this computer from being able to print to that TCP/IP port. Check the port that the C309a driver is using and verify that it is printing to the correct IP (Start-> Control Panel-> Printers-> Right Click on the C309a driver, Click Properties-> Click the Port tab).

Another thing I woiuld like to ask is did you see any error messages during the software installation? Did the software installation produced any warning messages? I might have missed this information from your previous posts but which Windows do you have on the desktop? I am assuming it is Windows 7 but I just want to double check.

Top Student
Charlie15
Message 8 of 17 (321 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. My initial install was over 2 years ago when I first got the printer, but this week I have reinstalled numerous times. most of the time I do not get any error message when installing, but once or twice I did get a message saying that installation unexpectedly stopped .

I did check the IP address and it is correct. It has to be since the Fax and scanner functions still work fine.

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 9 of 17 (313 Views)

Hi,

When you try to print does it get stuck in queue? Does the printer driver go "offline" when you try to print and the print job get stuck in queue? or are you getting an error message?

If it is getting stuck in queue run the Print Diagnostic Utility linked below

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02072599

You can also try Option 2 on the troubleshooting steps listed on the linked site below

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/89483-print-spooler-queue-clear-reset.html

Top Student
Charlie15
Message 10 of 17 (310 Views)

It does not even make it to the que, thats when I get the error message,so no, that is not it. I also have tried resetting the print services and the spooler but no effect there either.

I do appreciate your attempt to help me. Just wanted to get that in here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation