Re: BSOD - OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g causing PC crashes and BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH (5478 Views)
Intern
glnz
Message 1 of 26 (5,756 Views)

BSOD - OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g causing PC crashes and BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

[ Edited ]

Happened twice last night for the fifth or sixth time since we bought the printer six months ago - went to print something to my OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g and the PC CRASHED - the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH !!  (Organ chord.)  Had to reboot the PC twice and save the "protected" version of an Excel spreadsheet.  Fortunately haven't lost much in the way of data in other applications ... yet.

My PC is WinXPPro SP3 with all updates and is a very good, fast machine, a Dell Optiplex 755 with a fast duo-core chip and 2GB of RAM, of which approx. 1.4GB is usually free.  Have good anti-virus and anti-spyware, scan regularly, and I keep my eye on the firewall settings.  The connection to the OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g is (a) wired from the PC to our Wetsell 7500 modem/router, and (b) wireless home WiFi from the Wetsell 7500 modem/router to the OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g, with WEP encryption and MAC filtering.  The Westell admin web page shows the printer in the list of networked devices just fine, and also lets me access the printer's mini-web-page features and reports.

The printer usually works, probably 98% of the time. However, lately, when I print something, I notice the printer response time is not fast - takes a few seconds before I can access the "Properties" button in the Windows print window (e.g. to pick color or black only).

When we got the printer, I ran the included HP CD on this Dell Optiplex.  As a result, it has the full printer driver set.  (On other PCs in the house, I experimented with the various driver downloads from the HP support and drivers web site.  I have not printed enough from those other PCs to know whether they will also suffer BSOD crashes - so far not.)

What's the problem, and what do you recommend?

Here is some more technical info: 

(1) The following three services are running in the background all the time:

"HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service","hpqddsvc","Running","Automatic","Share Process","Stop, Pause/Continue, Shutdown","C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k hpdevmgmt","This service detects and monitors CUE devices on the system.","LocalSystem","","Normal","The operation completed successfully (0)"

"HP Network Devices Support","HPSLPSVC","Running","Automatic","Share Process (Interactive)","Stop, Shutdown, Power Event, Session Change","C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k HPService","Discovers and monitors the state and the configuration of the HP devices attached to your network. If the service is stopped, and your network devices change IP addresses, they might become unavailable","LocalSystem","","Normal","The operation completed successfully (0)"

"hpqcxs08","hpqcxs08","Running","Manual","Share Process","Stop","C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k hpdevmgmt","","LocalSystem","","Normal","The operation completed successfully (0)"

(2)  According to Autoruns, the following four also start when I boot the computer, although I do notsee them actually running at the moment:

Net Driver HPZ12Dot4Net Module    (Not verified) Hewlett-Packard    c:\windows\system32\hpzinw12.dll    

Pml Driver HPZ12PmlDrv Module    (Not verified) Hewlett-Packard    c:\windows\system32\hpzipm12.dll    

PCL hpf3l082LanguageMonitor    Hewlett-Packard Company    c:\windows\system32\hpf3l082.dll    

PCL hpz3l58aLanguageMonitor    Hewlett-Packard Company    c:\windows\system32\hpz3l58a.dll    

[Note to HP - the first two are NOT "verified" by Microsoft; the latter two are "verified" by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.]

(3)  I set my startup list so that the following programs do NOT start when I boot the computer:

"HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk","C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe","Startup - All Users","0","HP Digital Imaging Monitor (hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series)","Hewlett-Packard Co."

"HP Software Update","C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe","Registry - Machine Run","0","hpwuSchd Application ( hpwuSchd Application)","Hewlett-Packard"

"hpqSRMon","C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HpqSRmon.exe","Registry - Machine Run","0","HpqSRmon (HpqSRmon Application)","Hewlett-Packard"

(4)  At the moment, with the printer powered on but nothing printing, there are NO HP processes running in the background.

(5)  Before this printer, we had a five-year old Officejet d135.  I did not uninstall its programming but none of its programming is in the startup list, and none of its processes or services is running.

Looking forward to your advice.  Thanks.

Message Edited by glnz on 09-20-2009 12:41 PM
Message Edited by glnz on 09-20-2009 12:52 PM
Message Edited by glnz on 09-20-2009 01:08 PM
Message Edited by glnz on 09-20-2009 01:08 PM
Message Edited by glnz on 09-20-2009 01:39 PM
Intern
glnz
Message 2 of 26 (5,698 Views)

Re: BSOD - OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g causing PC crashes and BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Added note:  Yesterday, I had a mini-crisis shipping problem and was rushing to print a pdf from this same PC to this same HP printer to solve same.  When I hit Print, I held my breath because I was afraid all would crash.  Fortunately not and printed OK, but was truly worried - I might have lost an hour's work.  HP, please solve this problem.

Clue:  Maybe - just maybe - the crash BSOD problem is more frequent when printing from Adobe Reader.  It has crashed before while trying to print from Word, but two of the last three times were when printing from Adobe Reader.  I have Adobe Reader 9, Version 9.1.3.

glnz

Intern
glnz
Message 3 of 26 (5,654 Views)

Re: BSOD - OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g causing PC crashes and BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Update:  Two crashes in a row trying to print from Adobe Reader 9.1.3.  Have now UNinstalled same and reinstalled Adobe Reader 8.1.3 - printed twice OK with no crashes.  It has since updated itself to 8.1.4, so we'll see.  HOWEVER, that's no solution - I need my brand-new 8500 printer to work with ANY version of Adobe.  The HP had ALSO crashed when trying to print from Word. 

HP - please fix!!

Intern
glnz
Message 4 of 26 (5,515 Views)

UPDATE - My PC also crashes when printing from Adobe Reader 8.

Downgrading from Adobe 9 to Adobe 8 HAS NOT HELPED.

Why is this happening?

Top Student
Message 5 of 26 (5,496 Views)

glnz wrote:

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

My PC is WinXPPro SP3 with all updates and is a very good, fast machine, a Dell Optiplex 755 with a fast duo-core chip and 2GB of RAM, of which approx. 1.4GB is usually free.  Have good anti-virus and anti-spyware, scan regularly, and I keep my eye on the firewall settings.  The connection to the OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g is (a) wired from the PC to our Wetsell 7500 modem/router, and (b) wireless home WiFi from the Wetsell 7500 modem/router to the OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g, with WEP encryption and MAC filtering.  The Westell admin web page shows the printer in the list of networked devices just fine, and also lets me access the printer's mini-web-page features and reports.

Hi -

My apologies on changing the color, but it seems appropriate.

Is this accurate - ?

[code]

- WinXP Pro SP3 [updated]    

- core2 duo    

- 2GB of RAM

- OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g [printer]

- printer has wifi connect to router

- XP SP3 PC has Ethernet connect to router

- printer has USB connect to XP SP3 system [/code]

You had no recent BSODs until the printer was plugged via USB into your XP SP3 system?

Please get the dump files from c:\windows\minidump, zip them up and attach to your next post.  I'll run them and see what clues they yield.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Photobucket

Intern
glnz
Message 6 of 26 (5,478 Views)

Mr. Griff:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz

Correction:  There is NO USB connection between the printer and anything.  The printer is 100% wireless; it has never been plugged into anything, neither by USB nor by Ethernet.

There doesn't seem to be a way to attach my minidump file.  How can I send it to you?

Thanks.

Top Student
Message 7 of 26 (5,470 Views)

So... XP SP3 system connected via Ethernet only -- no wifi?

Send dumps - KernelDumps*at*Live*dot*com

Also send -

- msinfo32 - saved in NFO file format -

START  | Run | msinfo32 -- save w/ default NFO file ext

Has the system ever had BSOD besides when printing (since getting the printer)?

jcgriff2

Photobucket

Intern
glnz
Message 8 of 26 (5,461 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mr. Griff:

I have emailed my most recent minidump to the email address you suggested, and there are others if you'd like to see them.  In a separate email, I also sent a msinfo32 nfo report.

All my minidumps come from this printer problem.  Until recently, those were the only BSOD crashes I had ever experienced.  However, just last week I tried for the first time to install Windows Recovery Console on my PC, but when I tried to boot into it, it caused a BSOD two or three times.  I finally rolled back to get rid of it.  However, I doubt those two or three BSODs generated any minidumps because they occurred before anything had been booted.  Anyway, I had experienced the printer BSOD's long before trying to install Windows Recovery Console, and my minidump folder shows minidumps going back for a while.

And, to confirm, my XP PC has always been connected to my modem-router exclusively by ethernet cable; it has no WiFi capability.  Conversely, the HP printer has always been connected by WiFi, with WEP encryption and MAC filtering; it has never been wired to anything.

Many thanks for your interest.  Looking forward to your next post.

Message Edited by glnz on 10-04-2009 10:01 AM
Message Edited by glnz on 10-04-2009 10:02 AM
Top Student
Message 9 of 26 (5,450 Views)

Hi glnz -

I rec'd the dump file and msinfo32 (nice job on fixing msinfo32, BTW !). 

The bugcheck0x100000c5 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0x0, 0x8054bfcb)

Probable causeaswMon2.SYS = Avast a/v, module timestamp = Tue Aug 11 03:29:18 2009

0x100000c5 = 0xc5the kernel attempted to access pageable memory at a time it should not have (IRQL too high) - or the memory is badI believe this to be a driver problem and not bad RAM.

Your Intel Ethernet driver needs to be updated  - it's 2.5yrs old - and may be the catalyst here -   

e1e5132.sys Fri Apr 13 13:12:48 2007

Intel driver updates -  http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-006120.htm

This app kicks off every 3 minutes  - Please tell me it IS NOT a registry cleaner -- !!  If so, remove this app

10/3/2009 4:09 PM UPHCleanUser profile hive cleanup service version 1.6.30.0 started successfully.

You mentioned issues re: modemUpdate your Conexant drivers -

HSF_CNXT.sys Wed Jun 20 12:07:36 2007 (46797AF8)

HSF_DPV.sys  Wed Jun 20 12:08:16 2007 (46797B20)

HSFHWBS2.sys Wed Jun 20 12:07:41 2007 (46797AFD

- Update the Intel Ethernet driver 

- The dump reveals AdAware & A-squared are both runningRemove both; re-install one.

- Remove Avast; obtain fresh copy & install

- update other device drivers - check with DeviceManager

I don't believe the HP printer drivers are to blame here at allThey have nice, new 2009 timestamps on them telling me they were written with modern systems in mindI mean no offense by that - just that there are device drivers in your system that need to be updated in order for all to co-exist in a non-BSOD environmentI really would ditch the reg cleaner -- they solve nothing and usually end up causing additional problems.

Enjoy what is left of the weekend.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Photobucket

Intern
glnz
Message 10 of 26 (5,432 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mr. Griffith - WOW!  WHAT A DETAILED RESPONSE!  Never got one like this before.  Many thanks for your attention to this!

It may take me a bit of time to implement all your suggestions, so please keep your eye on this thread for a while.

To start:

1)  I went to your link for Intel Ethernet driver update and ran its automatic check tool, but it gave me only this:

Product Detected  

Current Driver Installed   9.8.20.0

This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.

Now, from Device Manager, the number "9.8.20.0" is the current driver version number (dated 4/13/2007) for my Ethernet card, Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection.  Intel may be unable to see it in its automatic check tool because the card may be specially configured by Dell, a possibility that Intel warns about.  Dell's driver support web site shows only my existing 2007 drivers for this Ethernet card.  So, should I go to Intel's website (your link) and download Intel's PROXP.exe from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17906 anyway?   And should I click on any of the other links at the bottom of that page?  I hesitate to do this without your comments first.

2)   I've deleted UPHClean User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.  It came originally from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115, and I guess I don't need it on this good new Dell Optiplex 755.  (I'm pretty sure I need it on my old slow Gateway PC with only 750MB of RAM that frequently doesn't shut down well.)

3)   Regarding updating the Conexant drivers:  FUNNY YOU MENTION IT -- my fax modem SOMETIMES fails to Wake on Ring when my PC is in standby (S1 or S3), an annoying intermittent problem with no clues so far how to fix. (I want my PC ALWAYS to wake reliably to receive a fax.)  After emails to Dell last week and some persistent calls to Dell on Friday, one of their foreign phone techs suggested I update the Conexant dirvers and showed me where on Dell Support to find the driver update package.  So I did that two nights ago, but only from the original 2004 drivers to 2007 drivers.  (My "new" 2007 drivers are Conexant version 7.67.0.50 dated 7/3/2007.)  But the Wake on Ring problem continues.  In any case, you are suggesting that my "new" 2007 drivers are also too old.  I had visited Conexant's web site and saw that they disclaim any responsibility for specific modem card driver updates. So, are there newer drivers for my Conexant fax modem?  Where would I find them?  And I would much appreciate your ideas on this issue of intermittent WOR.

4)  I have uninstalled A-Squared - I found its sweeps have too many false positives, it was NOT in my startup list, and I never used it.  I also un- and re-installed Ad-Aware Anniversary Free.  Soon, I'll do the same for my favorite, Avast Home Free.  This will take me a bit of time.

5)  Finally, regarding updating other drivers using Device Manager -- I try to do so every few months, but I almost never get a new driver update, even though it's set to reach out automatically to Windows on the web.   For example, it did NOT show me the "new" 2007 drivers for Conexant and is indicating my current 2007 Intel Ethernet drivers are fine.  Does "Update Drivers" ever do anything?

Please let me have your further comments re above, and kindly keep your eye on this thread this week.  The BSOD print problem is intermittent anyway, so I won't know it's cured until it's really over for a while. 

Thanks again!

Message Edited by glnz on 10-04-2009 10:56 PM
Message Edited by glnz on 10-04-2009 11:00 PM
Message Edited by glnz on 10-04-2009 11:01 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation