C6180 All-in-one Software can't uninstall or re-install on Alienware M17x PC (1381 Views)
Honor Student
DanG-FL
Message 1 of 17 (1,381 Views)

C6180 All-in-one Software can't uninstall or re-install on Alienware M17x PC

[ Edited ]

I have a M17x Alienware PC running Win7 - Ultimate..I have a C6180 All-in-one that works off of WiFi in which it required a printer driver update/re-install. After the update I keep getting a box about AppTray.msi, a box for AIO_CDA_Software.msi, a box for Smart WebPrinting.msi,and a box for HPPhotosmartEssential.msi. saying they are not there. I tried putting my 6100series install disc it says "the file cannot be accessed by the system" I then tried un-installing all the HP software from the Control Panel program removal, and they will not un-install, none of the HP stuff will. I also looked for some HP scrubber on the HP site, and it looks like there the wrong type even though it say its for version 13.The printer and software all worked fine before the update.  I even tried a system restore and still have the problem... Need to get my printer back up working...Please HELP!!! Thanks:smileyhappy:

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 2 of 17 (1,342 Views)

Re: C6180 All-in-one Software can't uninstall or re-install on Alienware M17x PC

Take a look at this page, might help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1153...

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
Honor Student
DanG-FL
Message 3 of 17 (1,336 Views)

Re: C6180 All-in-one Software can't uninstall or re-install on Alienware M17x PC

Thank you for your reply... :smileyhappy:

I have already been to this page and did the update, I need to get all of the HP software out of the PC including any leftovers, so that I can re-install the whole HP C6180 software again as a clean install... Are there any programs that HP has that will remove all of the HP software like Norton has when they remove their software even if it doesn't want to come out???

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 4 of 17 (1,324 Views)

Try this document, obviously the Windows 7 section. It should help identify all of the HP software for uninstall:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02259020&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1153494&tmp...

007OHMSS

Honor Student
DanG-FL
Message 5 of 17 (1,318 Views)

Thank you your response...:smileyhappy:

Sadly this is not working either... I'm getting fustrated that I can't get this HP software out of this computer..It's preventing any type of re-install of the original software to get this printer to work with this PC...:smileyfrustrated:

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 6 of 17 (1,308 Views)

Maybe there are hidden 'installed' drivers on the system. Open device manager (right click computer then click properties) and click View on the top bar. Click show hidden devices. That will change what devices are in your window. If there are HP devices there that shouldn't be then right click on them. Then select uninstall. I have seen that used to eliminate an unused driver which the system knew was already there, but was not actually being used by a device. 

If I hadn't already mentioned this, too, run the printer installation as an Administrator if there are permissions issues, say from security software. Some security software is very difficult to setup to allow certain software/hardware installations. On some occassions, I have had to completely uninstall certain anti-virus programs in order to install some printers/scanners in the past. Then reinstall them. Rare but does happen.

007OHMSS

Top Student
jamiefixit
Message 7 of 17 (1,264 Views)

I have a very similar problem. Quadcore PC with Win 7 Ultimate 64. Scanner started saving things in random folders so I uninstall the software as it asked. When I uninstalled it, it would not re-install. It unpacks and then nothing happens. Eventually after hours of research trying safe modes, looking at sites etc. This leaves me with the can't install apptray.msi message permanently, which I've also read a lot about. Trying the windows Fix It utility which an FAQ pointed me to here, to no avail, I did a rollback to an earlier date. After messing about with this for a day instead of finishing the bid I'm working on I am tearing my hair out. I just want to do a clean re-install of the software which I've downloaded from the HP site but it just won't do it.

Rollng back and re-reading the various docs on here, running as administrator, etc, etc. I can't bear it any more so I've just disabled all HP stuff in msconfig to make the message go away. I am still unable to install, uninstall or do anything with the HP software or printer which control panel and the desktop tell me I still have but won't run or do anything.

Heeellllppppp!

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 8 of 17 (1,238 Views)

One of my cohorts uses this method:

Follow the steps below to scrub the software, and then reinstall it.

1. Open %temp%, and delete all files in this folder. There may be some files which may still be in use, and you can choose skip for those files.
  2. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-76229-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

1. Double click on the downloaded file to extract the files
  2. When the software install window opens press Cancel or Exit to close the installer
  3. Type %temp% in the run field or search for programs and files.
  4. Look for folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)
  5. Right click on the 7z folder, and choose copy
  6. Close the %temp% window, and then right click in the middle of your desktop, and chose paste
  7. Open the 7z folder
  8. Open folder Util
  9. Open folder CCC
  10. Run the Uninstall_L4, and then follow the on screen instructions to remove all the software.
  11. When the software has been removed restart your computer
  12. 14.  Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools
  13. Open the 7z folder on the desktop, and run the setup.exe file to reinstall the printer. 
007OHMSS

Top Student
jamiefixit
Message 9 of 17 (1,237 Views)

Ahhhh Mr. Bond,

Where is the %temp% folder? Once I got that I'll give it all a go.

Cheers, Jamie.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 10 of 17 (1,233 Views)

Click on Windows 7 start, then type %temp% in that empty field right above it, and hit enter. Should take you right to the system temp folder.

007OHMSS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation