Question

Intern
TomHoo
Message 1 of 45 (1,058 Views)

C6180 will not install - printer name invalid

Trying to install a previously installed on another network (wireless) onto a Windows XP SP3 PC w/USB.

Install seems to go OK, but when PnP printer is scanned, it comes back with a setup window "Error printer name invalid."

The install quits and the printer cannot be found - it is not installed.

I have removed everything and tried all 3 drivers:  full, min, and corp and they all do the same thing.

I have a 1Ghz processor and installed the patch too.

Tried to install over ethernet with corp version - but install  offered no opportunity for that.

One observation:  Most scan balloons referred to "HP PhotoSmart 6100 Series"  but then a single balloon opens "HPPhotoSmart 6100 Series" where the first space is omitted.  Could this be the "invalid printer name?"

At wits end.  Have been trying for over a week.  At least 20 hours devoted to this.

Also, the instructions for the drivers are BAD.  They do not correctly state where the unpacked files directory is located.  Depending on which driver, the location AND directory name are incorrect.  This leads me to think there could be problems with the online drivers.  Also, seems like you have to use Internet Explorer to DL the drivers.  This is very unexpected.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 45 (1,014 Views)

It sounds like you are having some PnP problems with your OS. It could be a bad USB cable, or port, but I'm betting you will need to do a factory restore on your computer. To be sure that is the problem, try installing the printer on another computer and see if the same error comes up. If it doesn't, I would recommend backing up all of your data and doing a factory restore on the computer. If it's still giving you problem, you may want to look at getting a new computer, since you may have a bad chipset on the motherboard. Let me know what you find.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Intern
TomHoo
Message 3 of 45 (1,010 Views)

Re: C6180 will not install - printer name invalid

THANK YOU so much for taking time to answer my post (!)

Your advice about trying another PC was a good one - I did that and I believe I have a clue as to what is wrong with the 1st PC.

A little updating:

Could not install over ethernet.  Basically got same error.

Decided to try wireless.  Was able to achieve connection, but install went the same way.

But now with wireless, I could try 2nd PC (my laptop) much easier.

Install worked!  Printer works on laptop!

But during the install, I saw a Windows Firewall message window pop up informing me of some kind of allowance.  I had never seen this window and unfortunately did not write down what it was permitting.

So this pointed me in the direction of Firewalls.

On the 1st PC, I have free Zone Alarm installed   Also AVG and Spybot.

I tried installs with everything turned off, but on the restarts, everything turns back on again. 

I tried with everything turned off AND windows firewall turned off.

At this point, I actually got the install to proceed to the end with some unforgotten combination of restarts and deactivates, however, the printer did not appear in the printer list.

I am almost certain it is a firewall problem.

I will be uninstalling ZA and see what happens.  I seem to recall that ZA some time ago interferred with something and my only recourse was to uninstall it.

We'll see.  I'll update this thread with hopefully a solution.

Thanks so much,

Tom

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 45 (1,010 Views)

No problem. If that works, I'll give you the ports to open so you won't have to disable everything when you want to print.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Intern
TomHoo
Message 5 of 45 (1,009 Views)

I think the way Windows FW works is that it allows a couple dozen HP "widget" programs associated with the C6180 through. 

Sounds like a closed port with a software exception is safer than an open port.

I'm guessing with ZA gone, the installer will setup Windows PW properly.

Then, if I reinstall (probably won't)  ZA, ZA will ask for permission for each time a printer widget needs a port.

Or I could try opening the required ports permanantly - probably a lot unsafer, right?  But maybe as an experiment to see if it PnP scans properly.

Its up to you if you want to give me the ports at the time.  (are these common knowledge?)

Thanks

Tom

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 45 (1,009 Views)

I wouldn't say they are common knowledge, but they are public. I've included them below. It's up to you if you want to open them, and it should be safe to do. Up to you though.

HP printer ports
UDP TCP Acronym Definition Used for
137 137 NetBIOS network Basic Input/Output System - (basic communication) UDP: Printing, Photo Card Upload
138 NetBIOS network Basic Input/Output System - (basic communication) UDP: Photo Card Upload
139 NetBIOS network Basic Input/Output System - (basic communication) TCP: PhotoCard Upload
161 SNMP Simple Network Management Protocol - Monitering network attached devices UDP: Printing
427 427 SLP Service Location Protocol (finding out what things can do on the network) UDP: Printing, Photo Card Upload, Scanning, Faxing, Installation
9100 PDL page description language - printer control language (how does the page you want printed look) TCP: Printing
9220 TCP: Scanning, Faxing
9500 TCP: Scanning
Signature
Intern
TomHoo
Message 7 of 45 (994 Views)

Finally, Success!

First, uninstalled Zone Alarm, then did Level 4 uninstalls of the corporate and the full driver sets.

Did the driver only install from the full suite and it went to completion w/o incident BUT printer did not appear in the list of printers!!!

How could this be?

Then I realized my laptop was also NOT on the network.

Then I discovered my laptop and PC had different workgroups defined for the network. 

I changed my PC to match my laptop and low and behold, the C6180 appears via wireless as being "on the Toshiba Laptop."

So I printed a test page from my PC!

For one thing, even if I had the group wrong for the network, the C6180 should have installed via USB.  So that implies ZA was at the root of the problem.  (But I wouldn't completely blame ZA because I have had a lot of printers attached to this PC including other all-in-one HPs.)

I do have one question:

QUESTION: 

Isn't there software to control the C6180 maintenance functions such as ink cartridge stuff, alignment, etc?

I did notice that there was a full driver software (I can't remember which one) that when run, said it couldn't see any HP devices.  Could this be a functionality that is lost when connected wirelessly?

Thanks for the help,

Tom

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 8 of 45 (961 Views)

You should be able to get full functionality from the printer even over wireless. Run the full feature download below, and since you already have the drivers installed it should let you install just the software you need to get all the features working. I'll link the full feature below for you. Let me know what happens.

http://goo.gl/gdMvC
Signature
Intern
TomHoo
Message 9 of 45 (943 Views)

Thanks,

First, do you know specifically which software allows you to access the features of the printer such as maintenance functions?

Second is not so good.

I figured since I had everything "working" I would simply turn the Radio Off and connect the USB cable to my PC (home network consists of a PC and Laptop).

Got the same old "Printer name invalid."

I also noted (I am not a network printer or wireless expert) that I could only use the printer from my PC when my Laptop was on (It was a the Laptop through which I first successfully attached the printer to the network wirelessly.)

It appears that the first computer that installs the network printer becomes its "parent?"

I tried to install the printer on the PC when the Laptop was turned off and got the same Invalid Name Error.

FYI, when I look at my Settings Printers, I see "HP Photoshop C6100 Series on TOSHIBALAP"

When I look at My Network, I see the C6180 under Printers under TOSHIBALAP - so as far as the network is concerned, it is "attached" to the Toshiba.

I thought network printers were all independent devices with no computer associations?

I am concerned that my PC has bits of old HP printer installations including other All-In-One units.  I have done a number of the Level 4 uninstalls but there are still HP printers appearing in Printers.  I know if I do the required steps to see all unused printer drivers (stuff that shows up in Device Manager), there are literally dozens of them.  Perhaps I need to weed out all this old stuff?

Anyhow, I was optimistic when I got the install on the laptop, but the PC still is a problem.

Also, during one of the times I ran the install s/w on the PC, I got to the Installation Complete and then got a Windows popup with the network message (slightly different from the USB message) say that maybe the printer name was typed incorrectly.

There is little difference between a wired and wireless network install.

What are the differences between a USB and a Network install?  Maybe that should shed some light on where the problem is.

Also, during install and you get the PnP popup baloons the printer is identified as "HP Photoshop C6100 series" you get to the POP4 USB one and then near that time you get one that is "HPPhotoshop C6100 series".  After that one you get one more "HP Photo..." and then you get the invalid name message.

I keep wondering if the missing space is the problem and where is that missing space one coming from?

For now, it looks like I can only print from my PC - I cannot receive anything from the printer such as a scan. But then, maybe I don't have the s/w installed to scan?

FYI, the most recent other HP printer I had installed on the PC and working just fine was a Photosmart 7550.  I completely removed that during my attempts to install the C6180.

Thanks

Tom

PS.  General Question:  If the printer is working over the network, should you be able to disconnect from the network and connect to USB and have it install automatically with PnP?  or do you need to run the installation s/w again?

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 10 of 45 (941 Views)

I think I know what the problem is with the wireless install. You don't actually have the printer on the wireless network. You have the printer shared via wireless through the Toshiba notebook. The difference is that if you had the printer on the wireless network, it would run completely independent of any computer, and be able to print from any computer attached to the network. Since the printer is just shared, you have to have the computer it's shared through turned on to be able to use it this way. I'll include the instructions for installing the printer on the wireless network, without having to share it. That should get things working like they are supposed to. Let me know what happens.

http://goo.gl/MN8m3
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation