Re: C6180 will not install - printer name invalid (111 Views)
Intern
TomHoo
Message 41 of 45 (167 Views)

Re: C6180 will not install - printer name invalid

Focusing now on the Windows XP Add Printer Wizard, some new information:

First, under Registry Key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\printers

There are multiple instances of the C6180:

HP Photoshop C6100 Series,0

HP Photoshop C6100 Series,1

HP Photoshop C6100 Series,2

HP Photoshop C6100 Series,3

HP Photoshop C6100 Series,4

HP Photoshop C6100 Series,5

NOTE:  When I connect the USB, I get FIVE USB "bells" indicating a USB connection - so I guess that is FIVE connections of the C6180.  When the above 1-5 are removed, they reoccur after trying the USB connection.  Somethere else there is something specifying 5 extra versions of this printer.

What is further perplexing is that the MS article about removing old/extra printer drivers

Bruce Sanderson's Windows Web How to clean up printer drivers

Also, at the very end of this thread,

Script to remove obsolete printer in local profiles

a series of locations were listed that would need cleaning.  I checked each one and deleted keys/folders of everything except the very first C6100 :

"

Guru

6 month star12 month star
 Reputation: rvalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nicervalstar is just really nice (376)
DefaultRe: Script to remove obsolete printer in local profiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinholland View Post
I have 100 clients and the obsolete printers have to go. Is it possible to delete these in the registry?
I took a look in the registry and found at least the following 9 +/- spots you'll need to touch:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardwa re Profiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Print\Printers]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts]
[HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Print\Printers\Canon iP90 - Photo]

not to mention JeremyW's point on the print spooler being clear at:

"DefaultSpoolDirectory"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\sp ool\\PRINTERS"

So here's my thinking:

Add back dummy printers on your server to match the obsolete names and use the script to delete them.

That way the registry and spooler dir mess is handled properly.

You can drop the dummy printers in a week or two.

Rick"

Intern
TomHoo
Message 42 of 45 (148 Views)

Latest Theory: 

Server Properties of the Printers and Faxes directory shows a DOT4_001 port names HP Photosmart C6100 Series when there are no printers installed and every wipe and scrub utility has been run (dot4scrubber, Level 4, and HP Printer and Scanner)

Trying to find how to remove that port in the Registry.  So far no way found.  What is interesting is that while no printers are shown in the P&F dir, the HPPS utility says there is a C6100 series installed - evidently HPPS is getting the information from looking at the DOT4_001 port.

So, how to get rid of this orphan/unused DOT4_001 port?

Thanks

Tom

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 43 of 45 (122 Views)

Hello Tom

I see you have continued to work through your problem and have discovered quite a few new things. At this point you may want to consider backing up your data and reformating the operating system. It is certainly a strange issue and we have tried many things to resolve it. Also, mucking around too much in the registry (even for those who know what they are doing) can cause all sorts of system instability.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Intern
TomHoo
Message 44 of 45 (119 Views)

Hi,

The latest forcus has been on the WIndows Spooler.

An interesting list of problems is identified by Printer Spooler Fix Wizard by Security Stronghold.  The problem areas it brings back are right in the thick of things that I had just recently identified in the Registry.  This Registry stuff is almost verbaitim in the Windows\System32\Spool\Printer structure.  I would list it here but you cannot cut and paste it.  If I paid $40 for the program, I could let it fix the problems. 

Then I found the most interesting Kyocera Deleter that removes ALL printer drivers from the system.  It identified a ton of stuff and eliminated about 2/3rds of the stuff identified by PSFW.

I then ran the HPPS utility and it still found the 6100 series present although the Printers and Fax directory is empty.  However when I continued, it asked if I would like to fix the Printer or Scanner. 

I tried Scanner and although there was trouble with the TWAIN, I was actually able to scan through Paint.  So I successfully communicated with the C6180.  Still, the P&F dir was empty.

I tried the Printer and got the same problem.  It also resulted in 5 instances of the "HP Photosmart C6100 Series"

While I am going to retry some of this stuff especially with the Kyocera Deleter, I also need to remove the 7.0.a HP software which will not delete.  My plan is to reinstall it and then try to delete it.

What is intriguing is that the HPPS fixer keeps finding a C6100 series when everything imaginable has been scrubbed, deleted,and cleaned. 

QUESTION:  How many USB devices does the C6180 install as?  I'm guess at least 2:  printer and fax.  Perhaps more.  When I connect and disconnect the USB cable I get multiple instances of the USB connect jingle and disconnect respectively. 

I am also looking further into Windows Spooler Fixers since this seems to be at the heart of the problem.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 45 of 45 (111 Views)

Hello Tom

I have not seen a printer install more than two instances of itself before. In the cases I have seen two devices are installed with one being the printer and the other being the fax (so you can fax documents by printing to it). Also, even when two devices are shown it does not make more than one USB jingle when plugged back in.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation