Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

FYI Dale and others - just remembered when I couldn't get the Solutions Center to open, it turned out that the router was assigning an old IP address.

HP Recommended
Yep !

That would trigger some form of "unable to communicate" error... or equivalent.

The items on the network need to be able to "talk" to each other.

DaleBr

HP Recommended

@MSS1 wrote:

In my Win 7 device window, HP_192......YG Standard TCP/IP Port for Fax/Printer (copy 2) is checked.  Available ports are LPT1,2,3 Printer Ports (with my device copy 1 indicated for LPT1, some COM serial ports.  The USB001 port is "Virtual port" and also lists my fax/printer (no copy indicated). There is also a FILE and a DOT4 HP port.

I don't know what "wired network" means. I do have another computer networked wirelessly to the HP.

Does this mean that my printer port is wireless, even though I have it corded to the computer? (And printer "dings" off if I unplug the cord from printer.)

Since it's working, maybe it doesn't really matter.

The copy 2 version of the printer is the one set up as wireless.  The one with no copy indicated is connected by USB.  The copy 1 version is set to a parallel port - and neither your printer or likely your computer have this port.

At any rate, likely the copy 2 printer is the one that you use and works.  If you disconnect the USB cable and just use the printer wirelessly then it would be available to all the computers you use on the network (with the driver installed).  The USB connection may be left over from the intial setup of the printer.  The copy 1 printer could be deleted.

"Since it's working, maybe it doesn't really matter."  That is probably the best advice :-).

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

thank you for the explanation. The other computers are connected wirelessly, while this desktop IS connected by wire. Like I said, it "dings" that the printer is disconnected if I unplug the USB cord from the printer, so I think it thinks it's connected by wire....whatever, it works, so I'll let it be!

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob.

Ran into this problem on 2 PCs I just upgraded from W7 to W10. Printer and PCs on wired LAN and duplex was working on W7.

Knew I had the same issue before but couldn't remember the fix for my old but trusty C7250.

Tip for other W10 users disable 'Let windows manage my default printer' option in settings menu - unless you want to print a grocery list on your label printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.