Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone Smiley Happy I've decided to write up this guide to discuss and troubleshoot the “Call to Driver Package Error”.

What is it ? What causes it?

This issue normally occurs when a specific driver, that is being called, cannot be called. Sometimes, a 1627 or 1603 error is referenced in the error.

- If a 1603 error is referenced, this indicates that an ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE has occurred, meaning a component of the installation failed. This is normally accompanied when another form of installation occurs.

- If a 1627 error is referenced, this indicates that an ERROR_FUNCTION_FAILURE has occurred, meaning a function at a specific moment has failed, and the installation cannot continue.

Typically, these numbers do not mean a whole lot. However, for an advanced user, these numbers might mean a little bit more.

An example?

"Call to driver package install returned the error 1603 for Pkg C:/ProgramFiles\HP\HP officejet pro 8600\driverstore\ng scan driver\HPWia_OJ8600.INF"

This is the most recent error message I've witnessed. If you break it down, you will notice that “HPWia_OJ8600.INF” is the installation file (INF) that has failed. WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) is crucial for scanning, and the printer installs this file to enable scanning features.

How can you troubleshoot this error?

This is the main portion of the post. I am going to suggest a significant list of troubleshooting that you can attempt. There are nine solutions which have resolved the issue in different situations, all of which I personally worked with. I'm hoping that these solutions will work for you if you have to face this error.

*Please note that some of this troubleshooting is a little complicated. If a mistake is made, you may have to reinstall the operating system. However, the final troubleshooting step will require you to do this. You should make sure all of your data is backed up before troubleshooting.

Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎

Backing Up Your Files (Windows 7)

How to Back Up Your Files (Windows Vista or XP)

You should also backup the Registry. There are some Registry-editing steps in the troubleshooting I provide.

Backing Up, Editing, and Restoring the Windows Registry (Windows 😎

Backing Up, Editing, and Restoring the Windows Registry (Windows 7)

Backing Up, Editing, and Restoring the Windows Registry (Windows 98, ME, and XP)

*After each step is attempted, you can try installing the printer software. If it fails, please uninstall the software before proceeding. This HP document will explain how to do it:

1. The first step is performing a Clean Boot. I've resolved this issue in the past by performing this simple step before installing the software. A Clean Boot will turn off third-party programs and services that could be blocking the software from working correctly. For more information on how to do this, please look at this Microsoft document:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

2. Next, make sure the Windows Installer it turned on and started. If it not, the installation may not complete. To do this, hold down the “Windows” and “R” key on the keyboard, which will open the Run box. In that box, type “services.msc” (without the quotes) and hit Enter.

Now scroll down to the Windows Installer. If it is checked stopped, or not started, right-click on it and select “Start”.

3. Next, I would suggest completing all Windows Updates:

a) Open "Windows Update" in Control Panel.

b) Click "Settings", and then click "Install optional updates".

c) Next, click "Check for updates".

This will ensure that all updates are found and installed. Once they are installed, see whether or not the error returns.

4. If the issue is not resolved at this point, I would like to check the system for obvious corruption with an SFC scan. SFC stands for System File Checker, and it scans and attempts to restore corrupted Windows files.

To do this, open Command Prompt as Administrator. Type in this command and hit Enter afterward: sfc
/scannow

Write down the results and restart computer after this completes.

5. Creating a new Administrator account is a workaround to the issue. If the error does not appear on other accounts, this proves that whatever is causing the error is account-exclusive. I'm going to suggest you unlock the computer's built-in Administrator account.

To do this, open Command Prompt as Administrator, again. Then type in this command and hit Enter afterward: net user administrator /active:yes

6. The next step involves editing permissions in the Registry. In the Registry, please review the instructions below to apply full permissions to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

a) Right-click on the key that you need to edit and/or delete (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE). Click on "permissions..."

b) Click "Add" in that Window that appears.

c) There will be an empty box under "Enter the object names to select". Type "Administrator" (without the quotes), then click on "Check Names".

d) An Administrator name will appear, click "Ok" when it does.

e) You should be able to select (click) the Administrator profile under "Group or user names". Once clicked, click on "Advanced".

f) Click on the "Owner" tab.

g) Click on the Administrator profile, then put the check-mark in "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".

h) Go back to the "Permissions" tab, and ensure the Administrator profile is selected.

i) In the "Permissions" tab, put a check-mark in every box available. The boxes will likely be indicated by "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" and "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object".

j) Next, click "Edit". Put a check-mark in "Full Control" under Allow. Click Ok. Now, click Apply (you may receive a Window security message, just click "Yes"), then Ok.

k) Exit the Registry, then restart the computer, and launch the Administrator account.

7. The next step is to re-register the Windows Installer, and other dynamic library links (.DLL). Doing this will reference certain components that are required to complete the installation. Open Command Prompt as Administrator, then type each command and hit Enter after each one:

MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER

MSIEXEC /REGSERVER

REGSVR32 MSI.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL

REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL

REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL

REGSVR32 DSSENH.DLL

REGSVR32 RSAENH.DLL

REGSVR32 GPKCSP.DLL

REGSVR32 SCCBASE.DLL

REGSVR32 SLBCSP.DLL

REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL

REGSVR32 CRYPTDLG.DLL

8. There are certain DLL files that can interfere with the installation, and they should be deleted. Go to C:\Windows\System32

Delete the following files:

HPZipm12.dll

HPZinw12.dll

9. Before reinstalling the operating system, you can try restoring it. This will allow you to return the computer to a point where the printer was working.

*You should only do this if the software worked in the recent past.

What is System Restore? - For Windows 7 and Vista

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - For Windows 8 and 8.1

What if these nine solutions do not work?

Finally, you will need to reinstall the operating system if the issue is not resolved by this point. However, I can promise that this will resolve the issue. Here is a generic document on reinstalling the operating system:

Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System

And that's everything. Thanks for reading! - Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.