Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Deskjet 1050A J410 with Win 8.1

Have tried numerous suggestions from various sources but I cannot get Printer Assistant to open. I cannot even find it on my computer eg .exe file.

Have deleted HP software and re-installed with different combinations , eg full package, basic software only etc as per suggestions but no joy.

Does Printer Assistant have a particular file name/path for win 8.1 so I can search for it ?

If not , any suggestions on how to completely remove any ref to HP so I can start from scratch ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Alinspain,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are having an issue with locating the Printer Assistant.

I do have a few steps that we can try in the attempt to troubleshoot the issue.

First off, please remove the USB cable from the printer and from the computer and leave it off.

One very important step with the printer is, please make sure that you have the printer power cable connected directly to a wall outlet and not a power bar/strip. Here is a document that uses a LaserJet printer as an example but it is meant for HP products in general. Please click on the following link that explains the Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector.

The next step would be Uninstalling the Printer Software.

Once the software has been removed, please make sure to restart the computer.

When the computer is back up and running, please click on the following link for the HP Deskjet Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Please do not connect the usb cable.  The installation will prompt you when to do so.

Once the printer has been reinstalled, check for the Printer Assistant.  If you are still having issues, please click on the following link for the HP Update Software Utility.

Please feel free to write back if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers,   Smiley Happy

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Sorry for not replying sooner. I´m currently out of the country.

Will try your suggestions when I get back and let you know.

Thanx

HP Recommended

Have been away from computer/printer for a few weeks.

Have tried your suggestion but no joy.

You say don´t connect primter until requested. Never asked me to connect printer.

Still can´t see printer Assistant.

What next ?

Thanx

HP Recommended

Hello agian Alinspain,

I see that we are still having an issue locating the HP Printer Assistant.

Seeing that none of the steps I have outlines resolved the issue, I suggest calling HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here: click here.

Thanks again for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.