Question

Top Student
fairymegs
Message 1 of 10 (156 Views)

Can't find device driver for my HP Officejet 4500 desktop

I recently bought a new laptop, Lenovo ideapad U510 running Windows 8, and when I went to set up my HP Officejet 4500 desktop it couldn't find the driver.  This is the first time I've had this problem, the printer worked fine with my Macbook Pro. I've tried searching for the driver and installing a different driver, which was recommended on a help site I visited.  However, nothing has worked.  Please help.  Thank you!

Master's Graduate
TaraC
Message 2 of 10 (153 Views)

Re: Can't find device driver for my HP Officejet 4500 desktop

Hi there,

I'm just trying to understand what you have tried already.  Are you saying you did go to the hp site and downloaded the Windows 8 driver for your product?  If so, what happened when you tried to download it?  Or, are you saying you just can't find the driver at all?

Thanks!

Tara

**Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
fairymegs
Message 3 of 10 (144 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Tara,

I tried downloading the windows 8 driver and it kept stopping stating it could not complete the installation.  I just tried to download it again to be sure.  I used the driver for Windows 8.1 (64 bit).  It downloaded and when I opened it, it started extracting.  Once it reached 100% the box went away and nothing else happened. 

Master's Graduate
TaraC
Message 4 of 10 (131 Views)

Thanks for the information.  Sorry to hear about the issues you are having.  Have you tried the HP Printer Install Wizard?  It is a small free utility developed by HP that can (usually) identify and download the right driver for you.  You can find instructions on how to use it here. If you're open to that, can you let me know how it goes?

Thanks!

Tara

Top Student
fairymegs
Message 5 of 10 (123 Views)

Ok, I've downloaded the printer wizard and ran it.  It wanted to download the driver, obviously, but was unexpectedly cancelled in the middle of it.  I am trying it again and will let you know.  Thanks!

Master's Graduate
TaraC
Message 6 of 10 (116 Views)

Please do - you also might try rebooting your computer before you try again.

Thanks!

Tara

Top Student
fairymegs
Message 7 of 10 (113 Views)

This is very frustrating.  I have tried using the wizard to download the driver 4 times...I'm now on my fifth attempt.  Twice it has stopped stating that there is no internet connection (even though the connection was fine), and twice it has just stated that the action was cancelled and that I could retry by clicking retry.  :/  The last attempt I had restarted my computer, plugged in the ethernet cord and plugged in the laptop to the power source, it had 32 seconds remaining when it quit. :smileymad:  I'm not sure what else to do.  Any idea why it isn't completing?

Master's Graduate
TaraC
Message 8 of 10 (95 Views)

Darn!  I'm not sure why it's happening, but it could be the hp software is conflicting with some other software on the PC.

My next suggestion would be to try the steps for Windows 8 in this troubleshooting document. I know it's a lot - but unfortunately, I just don't have a way of knowing what the issue is at this point. 

Thanks!

Tara

Top Student
fairymegs
Message 9 of 10 (90 Views)

Thank you. I will try the troubleshooting and let you know.
Top Student
fairymegs
Message 10 of 10 (85 Views)

Well, I tried everything on the troubleshooting.  Nothing seems to have an affect. Thank you for trying to help with this situation.  Good news is my printer suddenly started working again, temporarily.  It seems I need to turn it off and back on, every now and then and it works.  However, still no driver.  Thank you again, for your time. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation