Question

Honor Student
dmadge
Message 1 of 4 (2,643 Views)

Can't get driver for Windows 7 for Deskjet 990 cxi

Hello- though I don't know how or even when, since I seldom use the printer, I seem to have lost or deleted the drivers  for Windows 7 for Deskjet 990 cxi. I recently got the Win 7 machine and plug and play worked fine. I was impressed! Later, it wouldn't  print and it seems the drivers are no longer there. HP support seems to tell me the only way to get them back is to delete the existing printer, restart Windows and let Win7 detect the printer again. This doesn't work. Apparently the computer should go to the web and download a Windows update. It doesn't seem to do anything and even if it did start working on that, I'm on dial-up (don't laugh!) and it would take forever, if it didn't get corrupted.

I cannot seem to find a place under the drivers area to simply, as I'd hoped, download the driver from the high speed connection I have access to, onto a USB stick and transfer it later. Is that possible?

Grad Student
wade1027
Message 2 of 4 (2,629 Views)

Re: Can't get driver for Windows 7 for Deskjet 990 cxi

The drivers for your unit are built into the Windows 7 OS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01874792&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&product=600...

However, you can manually install your printer if windows does not auto detect unit.

1. Click Start Menu go to Control Panel Devices and Printers,
  2. Click "Add Printer".
  3. then "Add a local printer".
  4. Select "Use an existing port:"  Click drop down arrow and select any local port that has something similar to "USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)" . If none exist, select "Create a new port:" click drop down arrow and select "Local Port" click next, then enter "Virtual USB".
  5.  Scroll down under the Manufacturer's list click Hewlett-Packard and HP then search for your particular model.

NOTE: I know you said your on dial-up, but you can click Windows Update to update the printer list or you may  try to select any Deskjet 990 variant or Deskjet 9800 series printer as they include the generic driver that should work with quite a number of HP units for basic printing.

6.   Choose whether to use current driver installed.

7.   Change printers name if you want.

8.   Ignore any the Printer Sharing prompts.

9.   New printer should now be set as default printer, so print a test page.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
dmadge
Message 3 of 4 (2,589 Views)

Thanks, Wade.

I was eventually able- about the 5th try- to get the Windows update to work. It turns out I have had a problem with my modem all along too!

Grad Student
wade1027
Message 4 of 4 (2,577 Views)

I'm glad your up and running.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation