Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a major issue with the HP Envy 5530. At first it just won't print at all but scanning was fine. Then one day I got I decided to fix it. I ran some print spooler fixers and it seems like they just deleted a bunch of files. Then I went in and deleted the printer drivers in system32. Now when I want to install the HP basic x64 drivers, it gives me an error:

Installation Error

Error 1722: Failed to add port monitor HP Discovery Port Monitor (HP ENVY 5530 series).

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit.

I want my printer working again. I would like to avoid having to wipe my os.

Wierd things are also going on in the services menu. The service 'PrintNotify' is offline with error code 2 and print spooler is running, but when I go to WordPad and try to print it says 'Do you want to install a printer now?' and then I click yes, 'Windows can't open Add Printer 'The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine'.

I would like some actual solutions as I have tried many of the ones mentioned in 'driver install errors' article which doesn't even cover error code 1722.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This issue was fixed. I inserted the Windows 10 disk and did an in-place upgrade to keep all apps and settings but reinstall windows. This removed any corruped windows files and now I am back to square one (I will create another issue for it as it is not really related).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @bad_driver,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I noticed that you cannot install the drivers for your HP Envy 5530 printer, on Windows 10. And, I am happy to help! 

How is your printer connected? Wireless or USB? 

In the meantime, I would suggest to try the following steps in this order: 

We will start with these steps, and see what happens! 

Hope this helps! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Tried that - did not work. Still same error 1722 and Windows add a printer isn't working either - probably because of the same issue.

I am connected wirelessly but I also tried the cable when I was in the clean boot on an admin account and that didn't work. I can't even install the basic drivers let alone connect the printer.

HP Recommended

Could anyone tell me what error 1722 means so that I can get a rough idea of what's the problem?

Also is there a way in Windows to completely reinstall and reset everything related to printers?

HP Recommended

Hi @bad_driver,

Thank you for your replies! 

According to this post, Im getting an error 1722 (Windows Installer package error) at the end of the Microsoft WSE 3.0 Runti..., on the Microsoft Forums. Syed N states: An Error 1722 is a general error associated with the Windows Installer.

And, Syed N also suggests: 

Method 1:  Check if the Installer Service is running. To do so, follow these steps.

a.        Click Start, Click Run and type “Services.msc” (without quotes) and press Enter.

b.       Double-click Windows Installer.

c.        Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual.

d.       Click Start to start the service. Note down the error message if any. Click OK.

Method 2: Reregister the Windows Installer. Follow these steps for the same.

a.           Quit all Windows programs.

b.           Click Start, All Programs, Accessories and click Run. Type “msiexec /unregister” (without quotes) in the Open box, and then click OK.

c.           Click Start, All Programs, Accessories and click Run. Type “msiexec /regserver” (without quotes) in the Open box, and then click OK. Restart your computer.

Check to see if the problem persists.

Which tells me, that most likely something is corrupt within your Operating System. If these methods do not resolve your issue, you may need to back up your files, and restore your Windows 10 to an earlier point in time. Back up and restore your files.

Hope this information is helpful! :generic:

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

This issue was fixed. I inserted the Windows 10 disk and did an in-place upgrade to keep all apps and settings but reinstall windows. This removed any corruped windows files and now I am back to square one (I will create another issue for it as it is not really related).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.