Question

Tutor
chaswmsday
Message 1 of 24 (672 Views)

Can't install full feature for Photosmart Plus B210e

Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit

Photosmart Plus B210e

A couple of days ago, I went into my printer software to check ink levels. A top of window popup (similar to those in Internet Explorer which let you temporarily allow something) informed me that there was an update for the printer software. I clicked and installed it (all from the HP printer software window). Also, I have a current Norton running, so I'm sure it wasn't a virus.

Immediately afterwards, the printer software was reduced to the Basic version. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, both from my installation CD and from the HP website. I have even tried Recovering my PC back to a Restore Point from a few days before.

Whatever I try, I can't get the Full Feature software to return. When I do try installing Full Feature, it shows it as "Basic" if I've uninstalled first, and as "Basic already installed" if I try to install Full Feature over Basic.

I don't know if some .ini file or registry entry is keeping the PC from properly recognizing the Full Feature software.

Please help. Thanks.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 2 of 24 (634 Views)

Re: Can't install full feature for Photosmart Plus B210e

[ Edited ]

Hi chaswmsday,

We could try to troubleshoot this issue, but it may be easier to do a Windows system restore. This will restore the computer back to the way it was at a specific date prior to this issue occuring. For details, check out the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

If this does not work, or if you would rather not do so due to not wanting to lose changes made on the computer since the issue started, let me know.

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
chaswmsday
Message 3 of 24 (619 Views)

[ Edited ]

As noted in my original post, I've already tried that. Some HP files under Program Files and ProgramData, dated after the problems, survived the recovery. I don't know if any of those are causing the problem or if it is safe to delete or alter any of them.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 4 of 24 (604 Views)

Ok, sorry, I missed that part in your OP :smileysad:

Can you post a screenshot of what the printer software shows? Also, is the printer connected via wifi, USB, or ethernet?

:smileyhappy: If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
chaswmsday
Message 5 of 24 (601 Views)

New Bitmap Image - Copy.gif

I have a Wifi connection.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 6 of 24 (581 Views)

Connect it via USB to see if the issue goes away and let me know what happens.

Tutor
chaswmsday
Message 7 of 24 (572 Views)

That's too difficult for the way my desk is set up. 

Let me tell you what I tried: I set up a new user account in Windows 7.  After I logged on as the new user, the full-feature printer interface appeared, but it had a pop-up "Updated information is available about your device.  Click here to download or loan more."  If I closed the printer software, I could reopen it a number of times and it was still full-feature.  If I followed the download, it would switch to the basic interface.  Also, sometimes after a while (maybe it's updating on its own), it would switch to basic on its own.  If I deleted, then recreated the new user account, the full-feature interface would again appear, but ONLY for the new user.

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 8 of 24 (564 Views)

Interesting. Do you have Windows Updates set as automatic? If so, try setting it as manual to see if the software will revert on it's own.

Tutor
chaswmsday
Message 9 of 24 (561 Views)

I had it set to check for updates, but let me download & install, but when I just checked, it was set to automatic updates.  However, after changing, the popup on the full-feature window still came up (as the new user) and still reverted to basic.  Is there a way to turn off HP Update?

Professor
Gordon_H
Message 10 of 24 (528 Views)

No, I do not know of a way to stop that update from happening. I have passed along this information to some colleagues and will let you know as soon as I hear something

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation