Question

Honor Student
OrangeMalone
Message 1 of 19 (14,082 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't print Excel 2007

Hello, I have a Deskjet F380 and my printer won't print any Excel 2007 document but will print earlier versions. When I save 2007 docs as an earlier version, it still won't print.

Any suggestions - I'm up to date re checking with the Solutions Centre so any help would be fantastic!

Thanks

Teacher
HardCopy
Message 2 of 19 (14,046 Views)

Re: Can't print Excel 2007

Hello OrangeMalone,

On quick check to try is changing the PQ setting: in the Print Properties, check the 'Print Quality' setting; if it is set to Draft, change it to Normal or some other setting than is currently set to, then try your print job.

Ensure you have the latest print driver for your hp printer: go to http://hp.com/

(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=1128296&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us...)

Also, ensure you have the latest MS Office/Excel 2007 updates from Windows Update: there are many updates and bug fixes.

Regards,

HardCopyTed

Regards,
HardCopy (I am employed by HP)
[If you found this helpful, please mark this 'Solved' or 'Accept as Solution' so others can find this too]

How to Give Kudos | How to mark as Solved

Honor Student
OrangeMalone
Message 3 of 19 (14,040 Views)

Hi HardCopyTed, thanks v much for your help. My problem is solved - you're a star!

I tried clicking on Kudos but nothing happened so I've signed in to reply and can't seem to see anything else that says solved as I would be very happy to tell everyone that you solved my problem!!

Thanks again, Sophie

Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 4 of 19 (13,993 Views)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that this works for Laserjets as well. Often the problem with any printing issue within the Office Suite such as Word, Excel, or Powerpoint can be fixed by making sure that:

1. You have the most recent driver

2. You have increased the quality level or DPI Level.

Deskjets would move from Draft to Normal or Best.

Laserjets would increase DPI from 300 to 600

Honor Student
OrangeMalone
Message 5 of 19 (13,978 Views)

Hi there, thanks for your help - problem solved! I had print properties saved to fast draft to save on ink but now I know to change it!!

Best wishes, Sophie

Honor Student
barnil246
Message 6 of 19 (12,402 Views)

I tried those suggestions and it still only prints 1 inch of the left side of the page.  Any other suggestions.   Here's a dumb question?  When I download the driver again do I have to uninstall previous ones?

Teacher
HardCopy
Message 7 of 19 (12,381 Views)

Hi barnil246,

in answer to your question, the downloaded driver/install package should be smart enough to update your current driver without you having to perform any pre-uninstall functions.

However, reading the description of your problem (only printed output is 1" of the left marging) makes me recall a problem I used to run into when printing from Excel if I inadervrtently set the 'print area' too small: I would only get certain portions of my pages printed.

You can reset the print area in Excel easily (it won't change or affect your data in any way):

1) Open you Excel document/spreadheeet.

2) Goto Page Layout --> Print Area --> 'Clear Print Area'.

Now, lets check what the application thinks it's supposed to print and also check the print output:

3) Click on Excel 'orb' toolbar thingy, and find Print--> Print Preview.

4) Observe the print preview and note if it shows an entire page to print.

5) Print your page and compare your output.

I hope that helps...

Also note that Office 2007 ServicePack1 & ServicePack2 contain many security, feature fixes, as well as certain printing fixes when printing from Excel, Word, & PowerPoint. If you haven't already, take the time to download/install the SP for Office.

Best Regards,

HardcopyTed

Regards,
[If you found this helpful, please mark this 'Solved' or 'Accept as Solution' so others can find this too]

Student
joea01
Message 8 of 19 (10,786 Views)

nope - tried all of these - have severasl HP printers and run Vista and win 7 - problem continues to exist with all printers; have no problems with Excel when using epson or canon printers

joe a

Teacher
HardCopy
Message 9 of 19 (10,784 Views)

Hey joea01,

I don't mean to be difficult, but could you please describe exactly what YOU are seeing?

What applications are open, what document you are editing in Excel/etc, and what steps you are taking to get to the point to where you are having a problem.

And be as specific as you can with regards to 'Can't print': what does that exactly mean to you?

I know it sounds dumb of me, but walk me through it like I'm a 9 y/o. :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Regards,

Honor Student
barnil246
Message 10 of 19 (10,773 Views)

Sorry.  No Kudos yet.  I did as you said, clear print area (never knew that existed - still not sure what it means) anyway I did that.  Then I went to Print Preview - saw whole page.  Ah ha! but hit pring and only get left inch of document (not equal to a column, just one inch).  I tried it in 2007 and in 97-2003, same  thing.  Grrr.   Any more suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation