Question

Honor Student
GrantnCa
Message 1 of 13 (4,798 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot find Scanner Actions selection on HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus Software menu

I recently purchased the HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus.  I am running Windows 7.  I am trying to add folder selections to the printer for the scan to folder option, and I want to setup the scan to email option.  I was able to add one folder, but now I cannot find the Scanner actions selection in the menu when I launch the printer software.  I only see the following selections.

HP Printer Assistant (does nothing when pressed)

Set Preferences

See What's Printing

Customize your Printer

I did see the Scanner Actions selection option once when I launched the software, but now I only see the above four choices.

Any suggestions?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 13 (4,794 Views)

Re: Cannot find Scanner Actions selection on HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus Software menu

Hi,

Uninstall the software from the Start Menu folder.

Next download and install the latest software below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-108858-3&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

now you should see any functionality back within the new software.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
GrantnCa
Message 3 of 13 (4,780 Views)

Re: Cannot find Scanner Actions selection on HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus Software menu

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.  It seems to work now.  It's a little different than before, but I think I can find what I want now.

Top Student
mmeier0831
Message 4 of 13 (3,855 Views)

I've tried the solution suggested and reloaded the software.  I still cannot find "Scanner actions" in the menu.  I deleted the software from the start menu and tried it and then from the uninstall function of windows and then from the troubleshooting tree and every time it was reinstalled, Scanner Actions does not appear

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 5 of 13 (3,819 Views)

Hi mmeier0

Please clarify want you need.

I would run the uninstall since everything didn't fully install.

Run a msconfig and then reinstall the printer software again.

Lets turn off all start up programs to make sure there isn't something blocking the printer.
Click on start, in search box type in run, enter, then type in msconfig, click ok.

Click the Services tab.
Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
Click Disable All, and then click OK.

Then click on the start up tab at the top.
Click on disable all.
Reboot the computer.

Then go back into msconfig and enable the All Microsoft Services and enable all on the start up tab.

If you require further assistance please provide the following so I can assist you better.

Are you able to open the HP Printer Assistant?

Do you have the option to scan a document or photo from the HP Printer Assistant?

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
mmeier0831
Message 6 of 13 (3,809 Views)

I tried your solution with no joy.  In doing some research and investigating, it appears that the two .hta files associated with the HP Officejet Pro 8600.exe file were somehow tagged to open with Notepad.  As a result, whenever I start the executable (via shortcut or via the actual file) I get two text boxes.  I tried to reassociate these files with the "mshta.exe" file in the Windows/System32 folder.  WHen I do that, the application starts to boot and then gives me several error messages.  The frame comes up, but nothing else.  Not sure if this is the proper association for those files, but it's still not working.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 7 of 13 (3,801 Views)

Hi mmeier

I understand the HP Printer Assistant isn't loading, I have included a document to fix this issue. If it something else please let me know.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03640384

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
mmeier0831
Message 8 of 13 (3,787 Views)

Made changes.  Now Print Assistant wont start at all.  Tried to start the hta files manually, but the dialog box says they aren't associated with a file.  WHen I manually set the association to the mshta.exe file in system32 folder, I go back to square one with text & dialog boxes.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 9 of 13 (3,752 Views)

Hi mmeier

What operating system are you using?
Here is a document to check your operating system.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-operating-system

Did you install the software patch?

What happens?

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
mmeier0831
Message 10 of 13 (3,751 Views)

I'm using windows 7 Home Premium (OEM from Dell). When I tried to automatically install the patch, I had the same problem, so I went back to the backup and then made the changes manually. Even doing it manually I noticed that all of the values did not copy to the .hta folders in the registry so I went in and made those changes by hand (after I backed up the registry again.) Still having the same issues. Launching shortcut or executable file does nothing. I'm not sure which part of the executable it's not getting thru.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation