Question

Honor Student
philipjb
Message 1 of 4 (1,863 Views)

Cleaning print head cartridges

[ Edited ]

HP Deskjet 5550 running Windows Vista Build 6002. I try to clean my print heads via Printing Preferences > Clean Print Cartridges > Clean and nothing happens. I suspect and option or setting but cannot see anything wrong nor can I see any options available for turning on this facility.

Master's Graduate
zack_hp
Message 2 of 4 (1,806 Views)

Re: Cleaning print head cartridges

That is very Odd! You can try it the good old fasion way! Follow the instructinos below to force the printer to clean the printheads:

Press the "Wrench" icon

Select "Tools"

Select "Clean Printhead"

If that does not work, be sure and let us know! Thanks!

If I have SOLVED your issue, please feel free to provide KUDOS and make sure you mark this thread as SOLUTION PROVIDED!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Honor Student
philipjb
Message 3 of 4 (1,747 Views)

Re: Cleaning print head cartridges

Hi Zack - my apologies for being so rude and not replying to you but I had not realised that I had a response to my query. I have recently returned to this problem and attempted to try your solution. Sorry if I am a bit dumb but which "wrench" icon are you referring to, as they manifest themselves in several places? In other words could you guide me a little more as to where I should start. Thanks in anticipation. Regards. Phil.
Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 4 (1,726 Views)

Cleaning print head cartridges

The feature of commanding the printer to perform a printhead cleaning was controlled by the full feature software for the HP Deskjet 5550 Color Inkjet Printer. However, Windows XP is the last OS that supported this software.

You are in luck though, because this printer uses IPH (integrated printhead) cartridges. Anytime you change a cartridge the unit will have a fresh new printhead for that port (tri-color or black). As well, check out the document located here for information about how to manually clean an IPH cartridge.

If manually cleaning a cartridge is unable to get the desired print quality, then you may want to consider changing the cartridge as one of the ports may be clogged. Hope this helps.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation