Question

Student
liverdonor
Message 1 of 4 (13,814 Views)

Color LaserJet 2600n printer - Windows 8 x64 support, or not?

Hi, I have a Color LaserJet 2600n that has been faithfully working for the last 5 years in my home office. I love this printer it's the best and most reliable color laser I've ever used.

Recent updates to Windows 8 x64 on a couple of machines for development purposes have prompted me to install the drivers for the CLJ 2600n so I could print out code listings and screenshots for customers.

However, I've been having issues. First, the driver wasn't found in the OS, so I went to get my Windows 7 driver and tried that. It installs OK and prints the test page just fine.

So I try to use it from Visual Studio 2012 on the same machine - when I attempt to set the properties to monochrome, I get an OS Exception (0x00000025).

Attempting to print and it does, but only the first page - then I get another exception.

So I went to the HP site to try to determine if we're supported - and to my chagrin, neither the official "Supported on Windows 8" nor the official "Not supporte on Windows 8" lists have my printer on them.

So I guess I want to know - is my printer supported, or not? It's not over 6 years old, like most of the ones on the "not supported" list.

Thanks for any help you can give. I would like to update but I cannot afford it at this time.

Intern
Scrivener
Message 2 of 4 (13,732 Views)

Re: Color LaserJet 2600n printer - Windows 8 x64 support, or not?

Currently there is only limited support for the HP Color LaserJet2600 in Windows 8. YOu have the option of installing a USB only driver:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03517088

Or, you may want to try the UPD, Universal Printer Driver, if you need to print over a network:

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/343033-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=ex_r2845_go/upd

And finally, check back later as Windows 8 drivers are still being added for many older printers.

Be sure to check out all the helpful videos at: hp.com/supportvideos and on our YouTube channel: youtube.com/hpprintersupport

I work for HP.
Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 3 of 4 (13,729 Views)

The windows 8 driver for this printer should be available in late January. Please bookmark this site and visit it for up to date information. Also located on this site are links to documents for the network workaround and the in-os document.

Laserjet Printers supported in Windows 8

Install HP print software via a network in Windows 8

As a test, I did install this using the windows 7 drivers, it printed fine but I received a pop up giving me an error printing but it still printed. I then used the network work around to shut the bi-di off and the pop up went away, again it printed fine. I would suggest if you use the windows 7 drivers, that you upgrade to the windows 8 drivers when they are available.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Student
LAJ81
Message 4 of 4 (12,168 Views)

I Found the windows 8 64bit driver for the Color Laserjet 2600n and downloaded it from the drivers sections. But the driver won't install. It did an abnormal action. I tried this at a brand new Asus laptop with windows 8 64 bit (all updates performed) and also on my Macbook air with parrllels desktop and windows 8. Is something wrong here or is the installation file defective? I tried several downloads to each machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation