Question

Honor Student
ljnaser
Message 1 of 22 (13,485 Views)
Accepted Solution

Computer doesn't recognize that printer is plugged in

Hi -- We have a new laptop and it doesn't recognize the old printer.  So, I am trying to download the driver for it.  However, when I try to download it, it says "Waiting for user to connect printer," but the printer is already connected via a USB cable.  

I tried another USB cable to make sure it wasn't that.  I also made sure the printer is on and printed a sample page.  What do I do now?

Teacher
jandsbob
Message 2 of 22 (13,457 Views)

Re: Computer doesn't recognize that printer is plugged in

Cancel the install.

Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager

If it's not an HP or Compaq computer and you don't have anything else HP uninstall anything listed that says HP. If it is an HP\Compaq or you have another HP product installed...well use your judgement on what to remove.

Once it's removed, reboot and install the software, only plug the printer in when prompted (also try a different USB port).

Intern
Daddy_Pa3k
Message 3 of 22 (13,453 Views)

What's the model of your printer?

Feel free to provide Kudos if I have helped you!
Honor Student
ljnaser
Message 4 of 22 (13,444 Views)

It's an old LaserJet 1022.  

Grad Student
lanz
Message 5 of 22 (13,442 Views)

Hi!

I'm a bit confused abouut your issue. are you trying to RUN the full feature and software for your printer direct from the Hp website? if yes, Hp doesn't recommend that process.

Better to save the full feature software and driver first before installing it because clicking RUN directly connected the internet , you will have an issue for installation-some will get instaalation error-corrupted files.

Pls. just click the download button and save it to your desktop.

By the way, before you install it , also try a different USB port of the computer,please disable any third party software on your computer like the antivirus, firewall and spyware because it might block some of the drivers for your printer specially for scanning. Re-enale the protection again after the installation.

If still not detected, you can try inserting a USB memory stick to your computer's USB port. If that works, it means  no problem with the USB PORT.

TRY THIS ONE , If you are using windows , go to device manager- look for the USB if you have a yellow attention mark- right click trhat icon and just select update driver or select properties then on the properties window just select driver update- let windows searched for the driver online.

Then try installing it again, If not resolved try this one:

1. Click Start , and then click Run . The Run dialog box opens.
  2. In the Run dialog box, type msconfig , and then press Enter .
    If the User Account Control window opens with the message 'Windows needs your permission to continue ,' click Continue to close the window.
  3. In the System Configuration window, click the Startup tab, and then click Disable All .
  4. Click the Services tab, click the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox, and then click Disable All .
  5. Click Apply , and then click OK .
  6. When prompted to restart the computer, click Restart later .
Step eight: Restart the network devices
Follow these steps to restart all the devices on the network.
These steps include turning off the computer. Consider bookmarking this page for ease of reference.
  1. Press the Power button to turn off the product.
  2. Click Star,  click Shut Down , and then click Shut Down from the drop-down list.
  3. Turn on the wireless access point (router).
  4. Press the Power button  to turn on the product.
  5. Press the power button on the computer to turn it on.
  6. When the computer turns on, a System Configuration Utility message opens on the computer. Select the Do not show this message again check box, and then click OK .

proceed to the installation.......then prove functionality...if successful continue these steps

Re-enable startup programs and services

1. Click Start ( ), and then click Run . The Run dialog box opens.
  2. In the Run dialog box, type msconfig , and then press Enter .
    If the User Account Control window opens with the message 'Windows needs your permission to continue ,' click Continue to close the window.
  3. In the System Configuration window, click the Startup tab, and then select the check box next to each program that should run when you turn on the computer. If a program should not run when the computer is turned on, leave the check box clear.
    CAUTION:Do not disable any Microsoft services.
  4. If no changes should be made to startup programs or services, click the General tab, and then select the Normal Startup checkbox.
  5. Click Apply , and then click OK .
  6. When prompted to restart the computer, click Restart .

If not resolve.... you can try installing it to another computer- if that installed properly to a different pc- it means your USB port on the PC is defective-consult a computech to fix the pc...

Hope this will help......=)

Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Honor Student
ljnaser
Message 6 of 22 (13,421 Views)

Thanks so much for your help.  You were so much more responsive, knowledgeable and helpful than their phone customer support!!  

Grad Student
lanz
Message 7 of 22 (13,409 Views)

no worries... just get in touch if you need assistance..=) cheers!

Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name : )
If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly : )
Happy Troubleshooting : )
Honor Student
physferrante
Message 8 of 22 (9,693 Views)

my computer doesn't see my new printer when it is plugged to the usb port

Honor Student
physferrante
Message 9 of 22 (9,694 Views)

I've done all of this.  The computer doesn't see the HP officejet 4620 printer when I connect it through the usb port.

Honor Student
physferrante
Message 10 of 22 (9,692 Views)

I successfully installed it on my laptop and the same usb port recognized a flash drive and I used the same cable as the lap top
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation