Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How do I get a Deskjet 5150 driver for Windows 7 (64 bit)? I have recently added a new laptop with Windows 7 to a small home network (using Workgroups) and want to be able to use the existing 5150 printers.

thanks

Stephen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
You can add the printer as follows:  go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a printer, Add a Local Printer, Create a New Port, Local Port, \\XPcomputername\DJ5150sharename  (use the correct XP computer share and Deskjet 5150  share names), Next, Windows Update then select the HP Deskjet 5150.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

The driver for the 5150 is included with Win7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Stephen, If you got a solution let me know. I have the same problem. The printer install when connected to the Windows 7 laptop but not to the network PC running XP.

Wion

HP Recommended
You can add the printer as follows:  go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a printer, Add a Local Printer, Create a New Port, Local Port, \\XPcomputername\DJ5150sharename  (use the correct XP computer share and Deskjet 5150  share names), Next, Windows Update then select the HP Deskjet 5150.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks Bob. It worked!

Wion

HP Recommended

Yeah, this worked for me too when setting up a print server with Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7 clients - thanks!

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

Wow, thanks, Bob! Been annoyed with not being able to get this working for months now...  None of the other solutions offered elsewhere has done one bit of good.  You're my hero of the day.  😃

HP Recommended

hey all, sorry for the bump, but i tried this and Deskjet 5150 doesn't appear in that list (and yes, i did update the list, and i did check carefully). I end up installing the 5400 (which was the closest model i could find) and it seems to work ok, but i was wondering if it does appear in your lists, and if you have any suggestion how i could make it appear in mine (i am running windows 7 x64, no sp yet)

thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

@Zoster wrote:

hey all, sorry for the bump, but i tried this and Deskjet 5150 doesn't appear in that list (and yes, i did update the list, and i did check carefully). I end up installing the 5400 (which was the closest model i could find) and it seems to work ok, but i was wondering if it does appear in your lists, and if you have any suggestion how i could make it appear in mine (i am running windows 7 x64, no sp yet)

Interesting - I had the Deskjet 5100 in the list under manufacturer HP.  I clicked on Windows Update in the add printer dialog and the Deskjet 5100 disappeared, but the Deskjet 5150 series does then show up under manufacturer Hewlett-Packard.

dj 5150.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Should this procedure be done on the desktop with xp, directly attached to the dj5150 or the windows 7 laptop accessing the printer via the home network? I followed your instructions on the desktop but dj 5100 series was not listed, even when I clicked Windows update. I have a feeling this printer is just too old...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.