Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@FPR wrote:

Hi Cleverlotus,

That is misleading - you should only use the one of these three files which bears your printer number. "Select" it then press "Ctrl+c" to copy it to your computer's clipboard. Go to "Computer" then double click in turn on  (ie open the following items) Drive (disk) C, Windows, System 32, Spool, Drivers. x64, 3. Having arrived inside "3" you need to  paste the hpv.dll file there by pressing (Ctrl + v). If you're in the right place you should get a message asking if you want to replace the existing file (which is there from your having installed the printer), to which you should answer "yes". You have finished now and the printer should work. If you're dobtful about any of this, ask a more computer savvy friend to help.

This patch is only needed if your windows system is 64 bit, and will only work if you are using a parallel connection to the printer ie you have an old computer with an LPT1 or2 printer connection, not solely USB.

Others have said that a Sabrent SBT-UPPC   USB to parallel adapter will work.  I have tried 2 other adapters which do not work and the Sabrent one is unfortunately not available in the UK at the moment so I have only been able to use my HP720c printer via an old XP computer which is networked to my W7 laptop.

I hope youcan make sense of this and it works for you.

It is OK to copy all three files, it does not hurt anything to copy the files for printer models you do not have installed.

As for the parallel port, very few Windows 7 machines have parallel ports.  In addition to the Sabrent converter there are several other brands folks have reported working.  The posts flagged here have models that users have reported working in Windows 7.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Maplin USB to parallel does NOT work

HP Recommended

IOGEAR USB to Parallel Cable GUC1284B will work, for about $20.00. You could also just buy a Parallel card, either way will work.

HP Recommended

Sorry Bob! Please accept my apology. I shouldn't argue with experts. I can see now that the surplus ones would be harmless. I must curb my urge to proffer my inexpert advice.

HP Recommended

Thanks Darrell. I've ordered a Sweex cable so I'll see what that does, and bear your recommendation in mind.  Is it possible to fit a parallel card into a laptop?

HP Recommended

@FPR wrote:

Thanks Darrell. I've ordered a Sweex cable so I'll see what that does, and bear your recommendation in mind.  Is it possible to fit a parallel card into a laptop?

No, but you can buy a Parallel Port Express Card.

StarTech EC1PECPS 1 Port ExpressCard Laptop Parallel Adapter Card - SPP/EPP/ECP

HP Recommended

Bob,

It took me about five hours to figure out all the messages and the process to make the patch work, but IT DOES!!  Thank you.

For non-computer Luddites like me, here are step by step processes (Bob correct me if necessary):

1.  Buy a USB parallel printer adapyter that is compatible with Windows 7 (I got one at Staples for $39.99)

2.  Upload Bob's patch by opening the zip file and saving the 3 files to c:temp.

3.  Go to start, click on computer, double click on C drive and look for the temp folder with the 3 files. Leave that window open, highlight the 3 files and do control c to copy the files.

4.  Go to start, click on computer, and in the browser bar type in %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

5.  Put your mouse on the 3 folder and control v to copy the files into that folder; or as one community member suggested, just have both windows open side by side and drag the 3 files from the temp folder to the 3 folder!

6.  Message should read "do you want to copy and replace" and click "yes"

7.  Plug in the printer, insert the USB into the USB port and turn on the printer.

Here are the things I had to check when at first it didn't work: 

1.   Did the driver for the adapter automatically load?    At first it did not and I received a Mcrosoft error 43 message which indicated something wrong with the driver load.  I unplugged the USB from the USB port and replugged it in.  The Computer recognized the new USB device.

2.  Bob reminded me to go to the temp folder and right click on the printer file .dll and check properties to make sure it was not blocked.  It was and I had to unblock it.  Then I made sure the version on the 3 folder was also unblocked.

3.  I rechecked all the connections to make sure the adapter was snugly attached at both ends.

What a relief to get that little printer working again!   Thanks to the community for all your help for little old laidies like me!

HP Recommended
Bob, thank you very much! Five hours later, your patch did work. Indication of my lack of computer skill, not the solution that took so long!
HP Recommended

More on cables:  Finally crawled around to the back of my 722C to check on the cable I'm using.

I've been successfully using a Belkin F5U002 (Rev 2) cable -- it's technically referred to as an parallel printer adapter.

I will say it's very, very old -- I've had it at least 7-8 years (originally purchased two PCs ago if I remember correctly).  I just checked availability and found Amazon has a supply -- user reviews there actually go back at least to 1999. 

There are references to drivers for it -- but I know when I first hooked it up to my Win 7 machine, Windows installed it along with my 722C with no problem. 

With Bob's patch added in, I've been happily continuing with my trusty 722C.

HP Recommended
thank you so much for imparting your knowledge!
I have the same prob... Spooler error with 'installed' Deskjet 712C.
However I use Win 8. I am assuming the underpinnings are relatively the same
hope it works.
I hate it when a customer runs out and buys a new computer without consulting with me.

I'll post back with my results
Sam
Blue Juniata Consulting
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.