Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
A parallel card! ?.. dang, shy didn't I think of that.
Good call!
Won't help with AIOs oe laptops. Sigh.
HP Recommended
This is late response... and I fear you already went to Radio Shack. Others have said the Maplin does not work. If that was you reporting that it doesn't work.... forgive this forgetful retiree 😛
HP Recommended

thamks for trying. will look for your next post

HP Recommended

I am afraid the instructions for installing the patch are no help to me. Is there not a piece of software that a non-techie can download?

HP Recommended

@sceptic-fritz wrote:

I am afraid the instructions for installing the patch are no help to me. Is there not a piece of software that a non-techie can download?

Sorry, if the instruction in this post or the one here are not clear then perhaps you can find someone local to apply the patch for you.  Do you have a USB-parallel cable that is verified to work?  What printer model do you have?  Which operating system?  Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, Bob. The printer is a Deskjet 720C. The operating system on my new PC is Windows 7 (64-bit). The cable is brand new and when I plugged it into the PC, Windows automatically installed the software for it. But I have no independent means of testing it. The printer still works. After finding out that it would not work with the new PC, I disconnected the new PC and reconnected the old and I was able to print from there without problem. I am now back on the new PC, but the printer won't work. Incidentally, my Control Panel/Devices and Printers tells me the printer is ready (it has a green tick on it), and when I send a document to rpint, the printer icon appears to tell me the document is printing - but it isn't.

HP Recommended

@sceptic-fritz wrote:

Thanks for the response, Bob. The printer is a Deskjet 720C. The operating system on my new PC is Windows 7 (64-bit). The cable is brand new and when I plugged it into the PC, Windows automatically installed the software for it. But I have no independent means of testing it. The printer still works. After finding out that it would not work with the new PC, I disconnected the new PC and reconnected the old and I was able to print from there without problem. I am now back on the new PC, but the printer won't work. Incidentally, my Control Panel/Devices and Printers tells me the printer is ready (it has a green tick on it), and when I send a document to rpint, the printer icon appears to tell me the document is printing - but it isn't.

OK, without the patch applied the printer will not work in Windows 7 x64.  I will send you a PM, look for the envelope at the top of the page.  If you have any unread PM's there will be a number next to the envelope, click the envelope to read the message.

message.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I downloaded the patch and was so hopeful. It looked like everything was going smoothly, but it doesn't work for me. I have Windows 7, 64 bit. My printer doesn't even show in Devices and Printers. All I see there is IEEE-1284 Controller, the usb cable (I guess). I have a GWC AP1305-BG cable, which I ordered from reading what some others in this forum said worked for them.

HP Recommended

I bought teh ULTRA usb to parallel printer adapter but it is not compatible for Windows 8. It does work for the above printers with windows98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7 (32 & 64 bit versions). TigerDirect sent me another cable but I keep telling them it doesn't work with Windows 8. Does anyone have any ideas? I have $100 worth of printer cartridges so am not ready to buy a new printer yet...although I may have to.

HP Recommended

@monkeface wrote:

I downloaded the patch and was so hopeful. It looked like everything was going smoothly, but it doesn't work for me. I have Windows 7, 64 bit. My printer doesn't even show in Devices and Printers. All I see there is IEEE-1284 Controller, the usb cable (I guess). I have a GWC AP1305-BG cable, which I ordered from reading what some others in this forum said worked for them.

The first post mentioned that this is not the driver, it is just a patch for the driver.  Based on your feedback I edited that post to be a bit more clear: You need to first install the driver, then you can install the patch.  Try the following: click Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local printer, pick the proper port - for a USB-Parallel converter this will likely be something like USB001:.  Once the printer has been installed do not print a test page until the patch has been applied.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.