Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@cmloveland wrote:
It doesn't seem to work for me with Windows 8. Could be the cable, I'm using a 25-pin to USB adaptor. I might try a 36-pin to USB cable, directly between the printer and PC. Ironically, I can print on it from a Windows 7 PC on the network, even though the printer is cabled to the Windows 8 machine. I just can't get to it from the Win 8 PC. Properties says it's there and "working" but if I send a document to it just vanishes.

That is actually an interesting result.  This indicates the USB-parallel converter is working properly and the issue likely lies with the Deskjet 722 driver.

I do not have a parallel port on my computers. I use a Parallel Print Sever which connects to my router. This way I can use my 722c on any computer wireless. One computer I have a duel boot with Windows 7 & Windows 8 both 64 bit. The patch works fine for Windows 7 but not Windows 8. Once again MS has made some older hardware not work with their new operating system. It's not a big deal for me as I have 2 other HP printers but I still use the 722c for printing certains things.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this message board!

I installed the722 patch for Win 7, works!

I may be showing my computer ignorance here, but  I notice that 722 prints slower on the win7 than it does on XP machine. Any reason? I do have print settings the same. Using usb to parallel bought several years ago.

Also when I first tried to find the Windows file "%windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3", I did not find anything with % in it. after searching more on other threads, I realized where to find the file in windows explorer.

Before I found this site, I tried 3 of the usb ports on laptop with no luck. I see I have three 722 printers, a 722, 722copy1, 722copy2.

Looks like I must use same usb port for the printer, and not just any usb port? I see the port for each of the printers is different(usb0001, usb0002)

Thanks again for the fix info!

Wes

HP Recommended

Do you know anything about the 6510e doing the same thing?  Its telling me the spooler stop working and to reset it.

HP Recommended

I tried hard to install my old parallel HP710C printer in my DELL Optiplex 990 running Win 7 Pro 64 bits trough a USB adapter and I failed.

This patch worked just fine solving the problem at once.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Geraldo (Brazil)

HP Recommended

@tjf4evr wrote:

Do you know anything about the 6510e doing the same thing?  Its telling me the spooler stop working and to reset it.

Sorry, I do not have any information about this model.  You might try running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@gp_filho wrote:

I tried hard to install my old parallel HP710C printer in my DELL Optiplex 990 running Win 7 Pro 64 bits trough a USB adapter and I failed.

This patch worked just fine solving the problem at once.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Geraldo (Brazil)

I am glad I could help.  Do you know what model of USB-Parallel converter you are using?  If you could post the model it could help others.  I have been tagging successful models reported with W7_USB_parallel so others could find models that have been reported to work.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Dear Bob,

The USB to parallel printer  adapter wich worked under win 7 Pro 64 bits is made by BAFO Technologies model BF-1284 (www.bafo.com).

Once plugged the printer trough the adapter, the drivers are installed automatically.

Thank you again

Regards,

Geraldo.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I'm getting trouble with my HP Deskjet 820Cxi, it doesn't print on my new PC with Windows 8 x64, but in my old Windows 7 x64 PC, it works fine.

In W7 I used the x64 driver patch to get the printer working, but I tried this on W8 and don't worked.

I thank.

HP Recommended

I have a Deskjet 720c on an XP computer (printer port connection) which I can use on my network from a windows 7 computer after installing the DJPatch. Unfortunately it does not work from a windows 8 computer. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

@FPR wrote:

I have a Deskjet 720c on an XP computer (printer port connection) which I can use on my network from a windows 7 computer after installing the DJPatch. Unfortunately it does not work from a windows 8 computer. Any ideas?

Unfortunately there are no solutions, unless someone comes up with a patch, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.