Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Found out usb parallel cable I had says it will not work with Win7 64bit. Bought new cable from Amazon. Sabrient SBT-UPPC. Deskjet722  prints like always!

HP Recommended

Many thanks Wes I'll give it a try

HP Recommended
That was my guess! Thanks for reply Darrel
HP Recommended

I have a success to report, and still a small problem.

The success is that I finally abandoned attempts at using the C2G adapter cable, and instead bought a Sabrent SBT-UPPC, and with this new cable and the patch re-installed, my HP 710C printer now works with Windows 7. Interestingly, the setup works only if I use the driver for HP 720C and connect to USB port #001. It will not work with port #2. So I connected my other printer, a HP 5150C USB "plug 'n' play" model, to port #2. Both printers now work with Win 7 64-bit.

The small problem I have is that the HP 710C, while reponding to all other print commands, refuses to print more that 1 copy, when 2 or more copies are requested. I cannot find any 'advanced' feature that can override or correct this issue. Any ideas?

My experience shows that using the right adapter cable is crucial. All USB to Parallel cables are NOT equal. The Sabrent SBT-UPPC worked for me, but this was the 3rd manufacturer I tried. The first 2 cables, from Ultra and from C2G, did not work with my HP 710C, even though the cables were "working properly" as USB Printing Support devices.

My advice to other frustrated users is not to give up if the patch doesn't work for you; the problem is likely the cable, but finding a cable that works is not trivial. The manufacturer that worked for me was Sabrent.

HP Recommended

My experience is like yours: only the Sabrent SBT-UPPC cable worked.

But you mentioned that your printer runs more slowly with Win 7 than with Win XP. That is my experience also. It also takes a bit longer for the printer to start printing after the command is sent. These are not big issues; I am just grateful that my HP 710C printer works at all with Win 7. That software patch is wonderful!

HP Recommended

Many thanks. Cannot find Sabrent but will try Maplin one (Radio Shack in USA I believe)

HP Recommended
Is there a separate thread on this forum for getting an HP720 to work with a Windows 8 computer with no parallel port?
Thanks to you my 722C works fine with its USB converter, but I may want to buy a new computer. If I have to buy Win8 (hope not) is there any hope my old HP?
HP Recommended

The 722C will not work in Windows 8. I know I have a 722C.

HP Recommended

Bob,

How to do this?

"Next copy the three DLL files to the following directory:  %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3   "

Downloated patch zip and opened zip.  Now how do I copy files and how do I get to directory?  Need step by step instruction, I'm not computer savvy!

HP Recommended

Hi Cleverlotus,

That is misleading - you should only use the one of these three files which bears your printer number. "Select" it then press "Ctrl+c" to copy it to your computer's clipboard. Go to "Computer" then double click in turn on  (ie open the following items) Drive (disk) C, Windows, System 32, Spool, Drivers. x64, 3. Having arrived inside "3" you need to  paste the hpv.dll file there by pressing (Ctrl + v). If you're in the right place you should get a message asking if you want to replace the existing file (which is there from your having installed the printer), to which you should answer "yes". You have finished now and the printer should work. If you're dobtful about any of this, ask a more computer savvy friend to help.

This patch is only needed if your windows system is 64 bit, and will only work if you are using a parallel connection to the printer ie you have an old computer with an LPT1 or2 printer connection, not solely USB.

Others have said that a Sabrent SBT-UPPC   USB to parallel adapter will work.  I have tried 2 other adapters which do not work and the Sabrent one is unfortunately not available in the UK at the moment so I have only been able to use my HP720c printer via an old XP computer which is networked to my W7 laptop.

I hope youcan make sense of this and it works for you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.