Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Thank you Bob. HP support is telling me that I have to buy a new printer as this printer will never work with the OS. PP
HP Recommended

Hi, I followed all of the instructions here but after installing, I am unable to print a test page and it says the printer is offline. I tried all three of the suggested ports (USB001, USB002, and LPT3). How can I tell whether the problem is with the USB-parallel cable or something else?

(I am running 64-bit Windows 7 and the printer is an HP Deskjet CSE 820.)

HP Recommended

Hi Svidd

When connecting with parallel to USB cable the computer might not recognize the printer.

I have included a document for installing the printer on Win 7. The drivers are preinstalled in the operating system.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01874792

Here is a post from Bob with a solution you can take a look at.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Windows-7-Connect-Parallel-Printer-to-laptop-U...

Hope this helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank your for your response.   Your forwarded document mentions it is for OS Win 7 x64.   My OS is Win 8 x64.  Can this be applied to this OS?  As well, I have been using a parallel to usb converter UPC-200; USB to IEEE-1284 bridge, quoting what is listed on the product.    Can this be used or do I need to source another?

Thank you again for your input.

Peter,

HP Recommended

Hi wingopat

I have included a document for Win 8 for installing the printer.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03460648

Hope this helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@Gemini02 wrote:

Hi wingopat

I have included a document for Win 8 for installing the printer. [snip] 

Unfortunately the supplied driver for 64 bit versions of Windows 8 or 8.1 does not work.  The patch in this thread also does not work for 8/8.1, currently there is no solution for these printers in 64 bit versions of Windows 8.

For Win 8/8.1 the issue is not related to USB-Parallel converters, I have done testing with a machine with an actual LPT1: port and the results are the same failure.

The listed printers do work with the 32 bit version of Windows 8 or 8.1.

Sorry, but I have not been able to get any traction in a working patch for Windows 8 or 8.1 x64 versions.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Gemini02, thank you for the response.

To clarify, here is what happened: The printer was not auto-detected, so I manually installed the driver according to the instructions in the first post of this thread ("Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Local Printer" etc.). So, I have installed the printer, but the computer does not recognize that the printer is connected. The link you gave me mentioned that one problem could be the parallel-USB cable. However, my computer is definitely recognizing that the cable is connected, it shows up as a separate device in Device and Printers. It also says the driver is update. I am wondering if there is some way to tell whether the cable is the problem or not.

HP Recommended

HI Svidd

I would take another look at Bobs post on this issue. He has tested this and the listed printers do work with the 32 bit version of Windows 8 or 8.1, not 64 bit.

You could sign up for the HP driver updates. When they are available you will be notified by email.
https://h41183.www4.hp.com/signup_alerts.php?country=us&language=en&jumpid=hpalerts_main

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@DrJohnWhiting wrote:

[snip] After installing my DeskJet 722c on my Windows 8 64 bit system all appeared to be installed propertly, but as with others reporting results in this forum the "Test Print" did not work.  However when I right clicked on the 722c icon in Devices and Printers and clicked on "Printer Properties" and then "Services" and clicked on the "Clean Print Cartridge" option, the printer PRINTED!  The output was the standard "Test Page" but it indicated that the driver for the Clean Cartridge Service worked suggesting that if a driver with similar attributes might produce normal printer output.

Thoughts? [snip]

This is very interesting, and coupled with the suggestion by a previous posted that they had things working by sharing a printer on an XP machine might suggest a different approach.

Is the test page you printed the standard Windows printer test page or was it the rudimentary test page built into the printer?  

If it was the Windows test page that would suggest the driver is OK in terms of its ability to render and perhaps the issue is related to a communication issue.  If nothing else this gives another path to look at.  Thanks for the info!

BTW, how is your printer connected?  Do you have a direct LPT: port or are you using a USB-parallell converter?  If the latter what model?

[Edit - a couple more questions - are you using Windows 8 or 8.1?  Did you apply the patch in this thread or not?]

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

If somebody can help me out, I'm still looking for advice on how to tell whether the problem I am having is due to the cable or not. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and here is what happens: The parallel-USB cable shows up as a device in Devices and Printers, but the printer is not detected.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.