Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It worked on my HP 712C inkjet that was hooked up to my new Windows 7 computer.  However as a non-techie, I needed the (very capable) assistance of a StarTech rep to apply the patch. 

Many thanks.  You saved my perfectly good 10 year old printer from the trash.

Too bad Microsoft doesn't care about so many of us having to toss computers with XP that can't be upgraded to "7."

HP Recommended

Wonderful!! My old, faithful 710c is now working perfectly with my new Dell 3440, windows 7, 64 bit.

So pleased, thanks.

HP Recommended

Just want to say MANY THANKS!!!

regards

Kay

HP Recommended

It runs fine, thank you.

HP Recommended

I am having difficulty in getting to first base.

You indicate, "First make sure the driver for the printer is installed."

I cannot see however how to install the driver for my Deskjet 712c printer on my new Windows 4 64 bit Dell computer. It is not listed among the default drivers.

Grateful for your advice. As many others seem to have been successful in using the patch in similar circumstances, I to join them....

HP Recommended

Please ignore my earlier post. Does anyone know if an Elecom UC-PBB USB OC to Parallel Printer cable will work with the patch>

HP Recommended

This solution worked great!  Thanks for the time and effort spent to keep those of us printing that don't want to part with our 18 year-old printers.

HP Recommended

Un grand merci !
A huge "thanks" because my printer is now working again !!!

You are amazing for posting this solution !!!

HP Recommended

He tirado a la basura la impresora  HP. Nunca más compraré otra de esa marca.

HP Recommended

This is a followup to one of my previous posts (2 years ago!) in which I described my eventual success in getting my HP 710C printer to run on Windows 7 Ultimate. The critical factor turned out to be the USB to Parallel cable: the first two I tried did not work, but the third manufacturer's cable did work, with the software patch installed, of course. The printer, however, would only print single copies, even when more than 1 copy was requested. This was something I could live with, and did so for almost 2 years.

Now I have built myself a new computer, running Windows 7 Professional. I connected my old HP 710C with the USB to Parallel cable, installed the patch, and now the HP 710C works perfectly on my new PC, including printing multiple copies. So maybe the particular version of Windows 7 was important? [I did have all the service packs and updates installed and up to date on both computers.] This is strange, but I am not complaining. My HP 710C is now 16 years old, and working as good as new. To those who are frustrated: persist, and your efforts will be rewarded. It is so satisfying to keep old hardware running.

On a related note: I just recently resurrected 2 old reverse-Polish-notation HP calculators (a HP 25, and a HP 25C) I have owned since 1976, but their rechargeable battery packs died long ago. I dismantled and rebuilt the NiCd battery packs, following advice on another HP users forum, and now these 2 wonderful calculators are back in service.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.