Question
Deskjet 720c and Windows 8
Replies (25)

Honor Student
BillCtoo
Message 11 of 26 (5,557 Views)

Re: Deskjet 720c and Windows 8

Hello Bob, I too am unable to print to my Deskjet 720C from my HP desktop PC after upgrading to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit (W8P4) from Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit (W7H4) and am hoping you can help. I was able to use the 720C successfully for several years with a Cables to Go USB-parallel cable (model 16898) on this PC under W7H4 after applying your patch. I've documented my attempts to date to resolve the problem in the hopes that it will assist you in your efforts to solve the problem.

- After upgrading to W8P4, I tried to print using the 720C with no success. The document seemed to appear in the print queue very briefly before disappearing.

- I then applied your patch since my W8P4 install had reverted the hpvdb720.dll back to an earlier version than your patch version. Still no success.

- I then tried using the cable and 720C with Windows 8 Pro 32 bit (W8P2) on a Toshiba laptop that I had upgraded from Windows 7 Home Edition 32 bit (W7H2). This worked without a hitch.

- I then made the printer “shared” on the Toshiba, logged onto the Toshiba via my home network from the HP desktop, opened a document on the HP desktop, then selected the shared 720C. This also worked!

- I then tried defining the shared printer on the HP desktop as you suggested in your November 18 proposed test. This did not work.

- In addition to the above, I also installed the 720C and cable on the desktop PC ensuring that the port was the USB001 virtual port but this did work either.

FYI typically, the Event Log has the following Application error (Event ID 1000, Task Category 100) after a print attempt:

Faulting application name: PrintIsolationHost.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x50109d59

Faulting module name: HPVSCP50.DLL, version: 1.0.0.6, time stamp: 0x4431bcd4

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000004ec1

Faulting process id: 0xe94

Faulting application start time: 0x01cde5fc4cd0ea04

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\PrintIsolationHost.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\HPVSCP50.DLL

Report Id: 8a8bbcd3-51ef-11e2-be98-78e7d1ce1e67

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Also in the Device Manager under USB Controllers, there is an entry “No Printer Attached” with the same driver version (6.2.9200.16384) as in the above error message. This entry is “grayed” out on the desktop PC but not on the Toshiba. I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Personally, I'm wondering if the cable is not compatible with W8P4 IEEE-1284 driver. Hope you can help. If you need any more information please let me know.

By the way, I'd like to take this opportunity to commend you on your work solving these computer problems for us less technical folks. With your patch for W7H4, I was able to extent the life of my trusty old workhorse 720C and avoid the scrap heap for several additional years. Thank you for efforts.

Honor Student
tred3
Message 12 of 26 (5,323 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the great help you provide.

I too have a Deskjet 722c work horse and am writing to see if you have had an opportunity to work on the windows 8 driver issue?

Again thanks for you do.

Tred3

Honor Student
mbhykes
Message 13 of 26 (5,144 Views)

I also have a trusty Deskjet 722c and am unable to use it on Windows 8 (64bit).

The Deskjet 722c is attached to a computer running Windows XP SP3 (32bit).

The XP Computer shares the printer to my home network.

I have several Windows 7 (64bit) laptops which work correctly using the Deskjet 720c drivers and the patch found in the this thread:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/Deskjet-710-720-810-8...

I tried to set up the Windows 8 machines the same way as the Windows 7 machines.  I used the 720c drivers.  I applied the patch.  I made sure that all the files from the patch are unblocked.

When I attempt to print a test page, the Print Spooler service immediately goes to the stopped state.

Looking in the Event Viewer, I find:

System Error:  (Event ID: 7034)

- The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly.  

Application Error:  (Event ID: 1000)

- Faulting application name: spoolsv.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x501080ef

Faulting module name: HPVSCP50.DLL, version: 1.0.0.6, time stamp: 0x4431bcd4

Exception code: 0x0000005

I would be very greatful for any assistance with this issue.

Thank you.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 14 of 26 (5,063 Views)

Just an update on the issue - I have duplicated the issue on Windows 8 x64 and have gotten things to work on Windows 8 x86.  It does appear that hpvscp50.dll is an issue, I get errors in the event log with hpvscp50.dll when trying to print from any Windows 8 application on my test x64 system.

The patch I had for x64 versions of Vista and Windows 7 does not help the issue here.  

I will likley update my progress in the thread here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
mbhykes
Message 15 of 26 (5,055 Views)

Thank you for continuing to work on this. The 720 Series printers are great, so it would be a terrible shame to see them become unusable simply because none of us can figure out how to make the drivers work.

I will be following in the other thread.
Thanks again.
Honor Student
BillCtoo
Message 16 of 26 (5,044 Views)

Hi Bob. Thanks for the update and glad to hear you were able to duplicate the problem and isolate the cause. Good luck in solving the problem. I echo the apprecation for your continuing to work on this issue as the HP 722C is a great little work-horse printer. Thanks.

Honor Student
tred3
Message 17 of 26 (4,987 Views)

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your update and continued efforts. Excited to hear you are able to isolate the problem.

Kudos to you for your persistance!

Thank you, Tred3.

Top Student
anetb
Message 18 of 26 (4,939 Views)

I'm having the same problem. Contacted Startech about the adapter cable, which is working...but the printer driver is not accepting the adapter cable. both are listed as working. I'd appreciate any help. I have $100 in toner to use and it seems silly to buy another printer.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 19 of 26 (4,923 Views)

anetb wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Contacted Startech about the adapter cable, which is working...but the printer driver is not accepting the adapter cable. both are listed as working. I'd appreciate any help. I have $100 in toner to use and it seems silly to buy another printer.

Regardless of the USB-parallel cable there is an issue with the printer driver in Windows 8 x64.   I did some testing in a Windows 8 machine with a parallel port.  You can see the results in this post, and subscribe to the other thread as well.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
DrJohnWhiting
Message 20 of 26 (3,146 Views)

A possible work-around solution to using your HP 722c Printer with an Windows 8.1 computer.

I run a network that includes an HP Windows 8.1 computer and an IBM laptop that is running Windows XP Professional.

Attempts to install the HP 722c on the Windows 8.1 failed for all the reasons previously noted in this forum. 

The workaround that is now working for me is as follows:

1.  Install the 722c Printer on an IBM Computer with XP Professional using a USB cable (I anticipate that the regular cable installed on the LP1 Port should work too) .

2. Print a Test Page to confirm that the 722c Printer works on the IBM XP computer.

3. Share the 722c Printer on your local network.

4.  Open "Printers & Devices" on the computer running Windows 8.1 and verify that the 722c Printer is visible on the network.

5. Right click on the 722c Printer icon in Printers and Devices.

6. Click on Properties.

7. Click on Print Test Page.

This has worked for me.  It is a good alternative that allows access to the HP 722c until a driver patch allows a direct working connection to the Windows 8.1 computer.

Keep working on a better solution and let me know if/when it is available.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation