Question

Honor Student
Finnyto
Message 1 of 26 (7,546 Views)

Deskjet 720c and Windows 8

[ Edited ]

Printer HP Deskjet 720C is confirmed in Windows 8 precheck as being  able to work in Windows 8.

I installed Windows 8 over existing  Windows 7. Printer 720c is properly recorded in the Devices & printers.

However when I attempt to print a Test Page from "Properties" or a document from  MS Word , document appears for a second in the "Print Queue "screen beforee disappearing without printing. Printer green light does not react.

Action taken:  

I ran Device problem Wizard

I removed printer from  Printer Devices and added again.

I reseated printer USB connection , turned off and turned on again the printer.

Rechecked for latest drivers via Window 8 and then HP site.

No success in remedying issue - Problem persists.

Note that Printer is connected via a Parellel/USB cable - does this require a paricular independent driver to work. ?

Any solutions please.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 26 (7,489 Views)

Re: Deskjet 720c and Windows 8

The USB-parallel cable does require a separate driver.  For Windows 7 the cable models flagged in these posts have been verified by users to work.  I have not seen any reports yet of folks having success in Windows 8 with these cables.  Windows 8 does have more strict driver signing enforcement rules than previous operating systems.  Are there any errors in the Device Manager?  (Go to the Desktop, click on the upper left of the screen, Settings, Control Panel, Device Manager and look for items with a yellow triangle.)

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 8?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Finnyto
Message 3 of 26 (7,483 Views)

[ Edited ]

1)  Device manager does not show any errors- absolutely no yellow triangles.

a) Under "Other Devices" Deskjet 720c is listed  and has status of "working properly"

I notice that the driver report under this heading states "no driver files are required or have been

loaded for this  device"

However under "Print Management" I see that a Driver has ben properly loaded for the Deskjet 720c

b) Under "Print Queues"  Deskjet 720c is listed and has status  of "working properly"

2) I have a 64 bit version of Windows 8 on my Dell Studio xps desktop

Note:

Deskjet 720c previously worked perfectly on my Windows 7 64 bit version once I installed your

recommended  patch.

Today I connected the Deskjet 720c to my Vista laptop using my USB -parallel cable and it works perfectly

so there is  no problem with the actual cable.

Appreciate any assistance you can supply

Honor Student
mavium
Message 4 of 26 (7,466 Views)

Hi Bob,

I am facing a similar problem whereby during the Win 8 install, there was no mention of an issue with the HP Deskjet 722C printer facing a driver issue or Win 8 incompatibility.  My HP Deskjet 722C works fine with Win XP and Win 7 but not with Win 8.

In my case, there are no serious errors in the Device Manager.

I do see under printers an unknow device with the following error:

USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

When I manually try to install the printer, Win 8 does recognize it but I am unable to print the test page.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 26 (7,465 Views)

Finnyto wrote:

1)  Device manager does not show any errors- absolutely no yellow triangles.

a) Under "Other Devices" Deskjet 720c is listed  and has status of "working properly"

I notice that the driver report under this heading states "no driver files are required or have been

loaded for this  device"

However under "Print Management" I see that a Driver has ben properly loaded for the Deskjet 720c

b) Under "Print Queues"  Deskjet 720c is listed and has status  of "working properly"

2) I have a 64 bit version of Windows 8 on my Dell Studio xps desktop

Note:

Deskjet 720c previously worked perfectly on my Windows 7 64 bit version once I installed your

recommended  patch.

Today I connected the Deskjet 720c to my Vista laptop using my USB -parallel cable and it works perfectly

so there is  no problem with the actual cable.

Appreciate any assistance you can supply 

Hmm,  nothing easy is coming to mind.  A couple of things to check - first, please go to Devices and Printers, right click on the Deskjet 720c,  Ports and see what port is assigned.  I suspect it should be something like USB001: or some similar.

Running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue, although I do not know how it handles USB-parallel converters.

I think I have an  old Deskjet 720c in the basement, I am busy for the next few days but should have a chance to dig it out this weekend.  I do not have a working  USB-Parallel converter but will try hooking it to a networked Win 7 machine with a LPt1: port and then sharing it over the network. 

One thing you might try (as a test) would be to connect the printer to your Vista note book and then share it - right click on the printer, sharing and give it an easy name like dj722c.  Now on the Windows 8 go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, The printer is not listed, Add a local or network printer with manual settings, Next, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\dj722c (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, select HP for the manufacturer and select the HP Deskjet 720c, Next, Print a test page, Finish. 

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 26 (7,474 Views)

mavium wrote:

Hi Bob,

I am facing a similar problem whereby during the Win 8 install, there was no mention of an issue with the HP Deskjet 722C printer facing a driver issue or Win 8 incompatibility.  My HP Deskjet 722C works fine with Win XP and Win 7 but not with Win 8.

In my case, there are no serious errors in the Device Manager.

I do see under printers an unknow device with the following error:

USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) 

When I manually try to install the printer, Win 8 does recognize it but I am unable to print the test page.  [snip]

OK, a few questions - do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 8? If 64 bit did you apply the patch from here [if you did not I would not suggest doing it yet, I just want to know]?  I assume you are using a USB-Parallel converter - what model?

Also please read my previous response, you might try the sharing from an XP or Win 7 machine it would be interesting to see if that works.

Honor Student
Finnyto
Message 7 of 26 (7,453 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bob

I carried out your suggested instructions - details below. In summary, nothing positive in resolving the issue emerged.  I await your further advice on this matter

Regards

Fintan

1) The Port assigned to deskjet 720 is:    USB001 - Virtual printer port for HP deskjet 720c

2) I ran diagnostics

a) HP Print & Scan Doctor :  It found HP deskjet 720c with a "Connect" of  USB  with a "State" of Installed.  Next screen suggested that  device was :-

Powered off ?                   ( Machine is powered on)           

Try different USB port    ( Port is USB001)

Try different cable          ( Cable has been proved to be ok)

b) HP Printer Install         No solution here - tried a number of times

c) HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility:  Report  back - "sorry, deskjet 720c not supported"

3) Sharing Test

As previously advised the Deskjet 720c continues to print successfully if it is  connected to my laptop  which has an O.S. - Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit

I set  up  "Sharing"  with the printer connected to my laptop as per your instructions.  I got report "Printer setting interface is  not responding"

Edit add 21/11/2012:  Some time later I retried the printer sharing (having rebooted both computers) and from the Windows 8 PC , I could see and was able to set the printer on the Vista laptop as the default printer. I attempted to print a test page but result was as before, i.e the page appeared for an instant in the print queue window and disappeared with no reaction from the printer.

Event  Viewer

This is a print error extract

"Document  failed to print and was deleted because of corruption in the spooled file. The associated driver is: . Try printing the document again."

Edit Add 22/11/2012

Attempted to print today - no success. See following copy extract from  Error in Event Viewer:-

"The document Print Document, owned by Dell, failed to print on printer HP DeskJet 720C. Try to print the document again or restart the print spooler.
Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 6283824. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\DELL-PC. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 1726. The remote procedure call failed."

Print Spooler Properties

I checked properties - appear to be ok.

Starting Up Type:  Set at "Automatic"

Service Status: Set at "Running"

Honor Student
mavium
Message 8 of 26 (7,456 Views)

Hi Bob,

I am using Windows 8 Pro 64 bit version

I used the patch when I had Windows 7 and it worked fine.  Under Windows 8, the patches are located in the same folders.

I am using a USB-Parallel port converter from NewEgg called a USB to Parallel Cable Bi Directional.  Model number AP1305-BG.  This was suggested for Windows 7 by other members of the support group.

Attached is the event log if this may help:

Device SWD\PRINTENUM\{338C6559-5449-40AF-99EA-28E094C2A8C4} was started.

Driver Name: PrintQueue.inf
Class GUID: {1ED2BBF9-11F0-4084-B21F-AD83A8E6DCDC}
Service:
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:

Thanks again for  your time and help.

Honor Student
mavium
Message 9 of 26 (7,365 Views)

Hi Bob,

Wanted to touch base if you had a chance to tweak with the Deskjet 722C in Windows 8 to help resolve the driver issue.

Thanks

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 26 (7,343 Views)

mavium wrote:

Hi Bob,

Wanted to touch base if you had a chance to tweak with the Deskjet 722C in Windows 8 to help resolve the driver issue.

Thanks 

I have not made much progress, I will try to move it up in my priority list.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation