Question
Deskjet 720c and Windows 8
Replies (25)

Student
hsiching
Message 21 of 26 (1,514 Views)

Re: Deskjet 720c and Windows 8

just downgrade your windows 8.1 64 bit to 32 bit,  and all the hp printers including hp desject 720c shall work perfectly.

i had done abovementioned yesterday, and my 20 years old or so  hp deskjet 720c worked marvelously with windows 8.1 32bit. 

Student
StatsMan
Message 22 of 26 (1,356 Views)

[ Edited ]

downgrading to 32 bit from 64 bit is not really an option as I would lose 12GB of Ram (16GB installed). Looks like I'll have to trash the printer or donate it to someone that has an older OS and can use it

Tutor
janeintoronto
Message 23 of 26 (672 Views)

Well, that is a lot to go through but I might try it. I just bought a  Lenovo with Win 8.1 32 bit,  but I still have an old Acer running WinXP. However, does it matter that Win 8.1 is giving me a message that the hp720 is plugged into a '3'  USB may not work and that it might need a '2' USB? I don't want to go through all you suggest only to find there is another issue with USBs.

(I previously used this forum's wonderful help and drivers & patches and suggested USB converters to get the 720 to work on a 64bit Win 7. That computer is on the fritz, but I still would like to run my old HP on my new 8.1 computer. I don't see why it should be this difficult!!! Listen, I'll pay HP  the price of a cheap printer just to get an easy fix for this. That would be easier than going to the store and trying to figure out something new.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 24 of 26 (641 Views)

janeintoronto wrote:

Well, that is a lot to go through but I might try it. I just bought a  Lenovo with Win 8.1 32 bit,  but I still have an old Acer running WinXP. However, does it matter that Win 8.1 is giving me a message that the hp720 is plugged into a '3'  USB may not work and that it might need a '2' USB? I don't want to go through all you suggest only to find there is another issue with USBs.

(I previously used this forum's wonderful help and drivers & patches and suggested USB converters to get the 720 to work on a 64bit Win 7. That computer is on the fritz, but I still would like to run my old HP on my new 8.1 computer. I don't see why it should be this difficult!!! Listen, I'll pay HP  the price of a cheap printer just to get an easy fix for this. That would be easier than going to the store and trying to figure out something new.

The Deskjet 720 should work fine in Windows 8.1 32 bit version.  The issue may be with the USB-parallel cable, you will need a cable that is supported in Windows 8.1.  If you were to connect to the XP machine and share it things might be easier as it is more likely whatever USB-Parallel cable you have would be supported in Windows XP.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
janeintoronto
Message 25 of 26 (566 Views)

Oh dear. Despite what the salesman said, I just discovered my new computer is 64bit. Dang it. Is there any hope?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 26 of 26 (555 Views)

janeintoronto wrote:

Oh dear. Despite what the salesman said, I just discovered my new computer is 64bit. Dang it. Is there any hope?

There have been some users reporting success with sharing the printer from an XP machine.  

I have not made any progress with Windows 8 x64.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation