Question

Honor Student
barneymillwrigh
Message 1 of 7 (9,494 Views)

Deskjet 940c Windows 7 Drivers

I'm trying to find the Windows 7 drivers for a Deskjet 940c printer.

I have followed the instructions at the HP site but the Deskjet 940c is not on the list. 

I work for General Motors and Window 7 was installed by HP so I don't have access to any install CDs.

Any answers?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (9,475 Views)

Re: Deskjet 940c Windows 7 Drivers

Asked and answered in this thread.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
barneymillwrigh
Message 3 of 7 (9,457 Views)

I did this but the 940c is not on the list.

I work for General Motors and we have a GM, HP cut down version of Windows 7.

So I need the driver file.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (9,452 Views)

Is Windows Update enabled?  Do you have internet access with the machine? Are there any Deskjet 900 series printers listed? Any of the Deskjet 900 series printers would be compatible.  

If you do not have access to Windows Update you can download the drivers directly from Microsoft's Catalog Update Site. The Catalog Update site requires IE for the browser. The catalog site is not very user friendly, you will need to first search for your printer then manually look at the properties of the listed devices to find your particular architecture.  The Deskjet 940c driver is 11.4Mb for the 32 bit x86 version and 11.6Mb for the 64 bit x86 version. The 13.9Mb version is for the IA64 architecture, generally only used for specialized servers.

update.png

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

Honor Student
coffeebreak
Message 5 of 7 (2,666 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had a PC with XP. I purchased a new one with Windows 7 with 64bit. My printer is HP 940c. I have it plugged in with the USB cable and the multi prong cable just like it was on m XP tower. I have Windows update going all the time. WHen I plugged the printer in, it did an automatic installation and it said it was installed and my default printer. But I go to print and it does nothing. I shows it "printing' in the print queue, but it is not printing. I uninstalled the program, and using the disk that came with the printer, I installed. All went fine, but still won't print. How can I get this printer to print?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 7 (2,657 Views)

You mention a USB cable and a multi-prong cable.  Are you using a USB-Parallel converter?  these can be problematic, it would be better to just use a standard USB cable as shown in the top picture in the document here.  

Honor Student
coffeebreak
Message 7 of 7 (2,655 Views)

Thank you for responding. I really appreciate that. Most don't! But it was in a way my mistake... I label all cords to everything and had the USB cord labeled "to Printer" and the prong on labeled same... and the prong one was for the monitor! However,the USB was the printer and it was the right one. I stumbled onto a post giving a link... I think it was your post, and then another link and finally one that said to update windows (which minedoes that automatically anyway, but for some reason missed this update) and it updated to include the 940c as an option. I chose that one and it installed and did it's thing and my printer now works! Thank you so much for repsonding and for you other posts that lead me to the solution. The reason I thought I needed another cable was when I bought the PC...the tech guy told me that I would need a USB paralle cable to make it work...so that was in my head and then having the cords labeled wrong....and windows not having updated this option.. but all has been fixed and thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation