Question

Top Student
tuxbox75
Message 1 of 7 (3,131 Views)

Deskjet 990cse and Windows 7 64 bit drivers -- not working

I had this problem a few months ago, managed to fix it, disassembled my machine to move, and now it's back (and it makes no sense).

I have a Deskjet 990cse that works fine.  It is currently attached to my PC through a USB cable.  There is no parallel port on the back of my machine so I can't downgrade to it.

The HP site does not offer drivers for the 990, saying that Windows 7 has built in drivers for it.

When I set up the printer to the PC using the USB cable, it says it's installing the drivers and it shows up as a printer, but it still will not print. 

I previously managed to get it up and running using Deskjet 400 drivers, but that isn't working this time around.

Is there a set of drivers that are known to work with the 990cse and Windows 7 that actually *works* well or can be installed instead of using the Windows 7 built in one?  I'm literally at my wits end with this, having spent hours banging my head with it.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (3,118 Views)

Re: Deskjet 990cse and Windows 7 64 bit drivers -- not working

The Deskjet 990c drivers available through Windows Update should work fine.  There are a few things to check:

• Does the printer print a test page OK without using the computer?  Print a diagnostic page as shown here.  If this page fails to print properly the issue is not with the driver and debugging should focus on the printer.
  • What happens when you try to print?  Does the printer go through the motions of printing?  Do print jobs disappear from the queue without any action from the printer?  Do print jobs stay in the queue?
  • What is the port setting for the printer.  (Go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the HP Deskjet 990, select Printer Properties, Ports.

Other printer drivers that should be compatible with the Deskjet 990c include the following: any of the 900 series Deskjet drivers and the Deskjet 5550 or 5150.  For the 5150 or 5550 some of the options will not work properly, for example the Deskjet 990 does not support full borderless photo printing.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
tuxbox75
Message 3 of 7 (3,105 Views)

Sample page, self-test and diagnostic test all worked fine. 

Printer port is "USB002 Virtual printer port for USB, hp deskjet 990c (Copy 1)".  This is what it defaulted to.

I attempted to print from a text editor.  The print job was sent to the printer, it sucked in one page and spat it out without printing anything.  The light on the power button flashes constantly.  The Queue says under status "Error - Printing" and nothing is happening.  The print jobs stay in the queue until I cancel it.  This time around, it had no problems deleting but other times it stays stuck.

I will try a few more options, including a different driver set.

Top Student
tuxbox75
Message 4 of 7 (3,104 Views)

To make this even more confusing/complicated, the system has added the 990c twice, (990c and 990c Copy 1).  I remove the one that has an error, I can remove, but it keeps adding it back.  It also keeps turning the printer on... I shut it off, then it redetects the printer and turns it back on automatically, sucking in one page of paper and spitting it out.

I also have no idea how to install a different set of drivers (other 900 series, 5550 or 5150).  The HP site only offers instructions on how to install it with the USB cable using the built in Windows 7 system, which isn't working period.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 7 (3,100 Views)

I would suggest temporarily disconnecting the USB cable and removing both versions of the Deskjet 990 printer from the printers folder, then plug the cable back in and let WIndows add the printer.  If for some reason this does not work properly you can change the driver as follows:  go to the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Deskjet 990, Printer Properties, Advanced, New Driver.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
tuxbox75
Message 6 of 7 (3,088 Views)

Well, the good news is, it's not turning itself on and installing copies of 990c drivers over and over again.

The bad news is, despite changing the drivers to different kinds, ensuring there's only one set of drivers installed period, it's still not printing.  At best, it sucks in a page and spits it back out without any printing on it.  Usually it just brings a page in and then sits there with it partway in and blinking.

I am at a sheer loss of what to do.  I do not want to replace this printer yet, I also just replaced the ink cartridges, but I've spent far too much time trying to troubleshoot something that should just be "plug and play".  I'm getting really fed up with it.  :/

Top Student
tuxbox75
Message 7 of 7 (3,080 Views)

I just had a technician spend an hour trying to figure out what the issue is and he came up with the same blanks that I did.

From what he can see, the Win7 system is possibly pulling the wrong drivers for either the spooler or the printer and he's unable to locate the proper ones.

Any further suggestions?  Barring this, I will be selling this printer and purchasing a new one. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation