Disappearing Printer Assistant Problem For Multiple Users (185 Views)
Tutor
bearwithme
Message 1 of 7 (185 Views)
Accepted Solution

Disappearing Printer Assistant Problem For Multiple Users

There seems to be a problem for several people on this forum at the moment where Printer Assistant and other options disappear from the Printer Software.  I have a Deskjet 3070 and have been hit by this problem.  At least one person with the same printer has posted the same issue recently as well as someone with a 5510 and someone with an 8600 - all in just the last couple of days.

I have uninstalled and re-installed and am still in the smae situation, I have also followed some of the advice given to othe users and done a bit of investigation that I hope may help define the problem as it looks like it might be a similar thing that has happened to all of us...

If I create a new user account and log into that then open the "Printer Software" at first I get all the expected options.  After a short while an information banner prompting me to download updated details appears:

Printer1.PNG

Once this happens there is no going back...  Regardless of whether you click the banner the next time you open the Printer Software half these options will be gone:

Printer2.PNG

If you create another new user it's the same thing - at first everything's fine until the unavoidable update.  What I can't work out is how to get things back as they should be once they have disappeared from a User's account.  Over to you for a solution please!!  Thanks.

Tutor
baylor1
Message 2 of 7 (163 Views)

Re: Disappearing Printer Assistant Problem For Multiple Users

I am having the same problem (and posted a thread Printer Assistant quit working for my HP 5510 all-in-one B111a, Windows 7, IE 11   ) - my HP Assistant helped me get it right under the Hidden Administrator I set up (looks real pretty), however we can't figure out how to get it right under my user name. So, I'm going to keep up with this thread, too.

Top Student
Kman780
Message 3 of 7 (153 Views)

Hi there.

Yes, same issue here for my Officjet 6500A. Before had the full features including being able to see ink status of the printer with one click. All those features disappeared I noticed in the last week or two. No updates installed by myself to the HP Printer Software to my knowledge either. Went to the HP Canada website and downloaded the Full Feature driver set and installed it and now have the HP Printer Assistant back. It does look diiferent tho from previous version I had installed with the CD supplied with the printer a year or so ago so must be a newer version of the Assistant.

What happened here HP? Did some silent update kill the previous Printer Assistant? Really would like to know.....

Thanks.

Tutor
bearwithme
Message 4 of 7 (142 Views)

Hi all,

I have a partial solution for this.

It seems that the drivers and software shipped with the printers are only the "basic" versions.  On the hp site you can also download what they call "Full Feature" software and drivers.  For the 3070 it is at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5068...

I uninstalled alll previous HP software, rebooted and loaded up the Full Feature version.  NOTE: Remember to customise the install if you don't want to install HP Update or Bing etc.

When I access the printer through the control panel I still get the reduced options shown in my earlier screenshot.  BUT - when I access via the desktop icon or through Programs > HP > HP Deskjet ..... > HP Deskjet .....  I now get a new full featured interface with all the maintenance tasks returned.

Printer3.PNG

Not a full fix as the original issues still remain with the "Basic" version along with the partial functioning control panel nag, but good enough to keep me happy while HP sort out what has been happening!  Also a lot easier than messing about with User Settings and Reinstalling the OS as has been suggested on other threads...

Hope this helps but please note I'm not an HP expert so sorry if this doesn't work for you...

Tutor
bearwithme
Message 5 of 7 (137 Views)

Hi there Kman,

Sorry - just noticed that this was also what you suggested!  Thanks for the pointer.  I found the solution listed on an MS forum before seeing you reply.  Not sure why HP advisors on this forum aren't offering this advice as a first suggestion as it seems a lot easier than some of the responses I have read here.  Thanks again.

Tutor
baylor1
Message 6 of 7 (122 Views)

bearwithme - YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back from Baylor!

3 easy steps:

1. Uninstall ALL HP software - I have 5 to uninstall.

2. Reboot.

3. Download full-featured software from

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108875-3&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en...

(for my Photosmart 5510 all-in-one B111a), and I did not load ANY of the extras, including the HP update, as you suggested. If I get my printer working, I do not want them to update it again, unless I call on them to - smile!

(I had downloaded the software from the site before during this problem-solving process, but it may have been when we created the Hidden Administrator, and also I know I did not reboot after uninstalling before downloading. I'm saving all these notes!)

Thanks so much for the help!

Tutor
baylor1
Message 7 of 7 (83 Views)

Hello community!

Just to be clear (and not have you running around in circles like I was), bearwithme's solution was the one I chose as the solution - 2 things in hers that are not in the "marked" solution: 1. Uninstall ALL HP software, not just the part for your printer. 2. Reboot before installing the full software.

I had followed the solution suggested and it had not worked for me, but when I did these 2 addtional steps, it worked!

Either HP changed the full software in those few days or those 2 steps mattered, as least in my situation.

See my post with the steps numbered (I'm a teacher - can you tell????).

Thanks for everyone's help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation