Do I need to use both Cartridges? PSC1315 (1664 Views)
Student
robbyrobmusik
Message 1 of 4 (1,664 Views)

Do I need to use both Cartridges? PSC1315

I have 1315 all in one printer. I am installing the new driver for win7 and towards the end it tells me no color ink and stops installation.

Now I just replaced the black ink and the color cartridge is not in the printer as i took to store for credit. I still the get the yellowish E for error on the printer and it will not let me get out of there. It started to make me think does this printer need both cartridges to be in to work or should I be able to print only with the black one installed.

thanks!

rob

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (1,649 Views)

Re: Do I need to use both Cartridges? PSC1315

While some of the single-function printers will work in "reserve mode" with a missing cartridge most of the multi-function printers require both cartridges present.  You do not need color ink, but you will need a color cartridge installed to operate your PSC 1315.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
usjtraffic
Message 3 of 4 (1,156 Views)

Hello to all you who visits this page,

I wonder whether anyone has encountered such an error on PSC1315 printer.

Earlier, I got an error code "E" appearing on the PSC1315 printer console.  Suspecting the color ink cartridge running out of ink, I then changed to a new color in cartridge using the CA6657A HP Printer Cartridge which is meant for PSC1315.

The"E" error code then did not appear, and I began using the printer without any problems.  The printer cartirdge was unused although I purchased it some time ago, and so it was like new in all aspects except that there was a date printed on the partridge that reads 2009/05/25 followed by a letter "S".  Below this date stamp and the letter "S" were another line that reads "L04  1  19:11:06" which appears to be a time stamp.  I assume this to be the batch production date and time.

Now after very light using the cartridge for just a short one week, the error "E" appeared again.  This time, I took out the color ink (CA6657A) cartridge, check if there were any telltale signs of damage or problems and then reinsert it into the cartridge holder, but the error "E" remain lit, and would not go away.  I do not suspect that the cartridge is empty because it was not under heavy usage, and the cartridge still still weighs substantially the same as new compared to an empty one.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem?

I was given two different answers about the problem previously before I changed to this new color ink cartridge.

a) the printer cartridge has expired.

b) the cartridge connection contact points were damaged.

I do not think both these two above reasons were valid, but can anyone please confirm if they were valid or invalid reasons?

So, what is the reason for the "E" error keep appearing on the printer? 

Is it :-

a) the printer electronics and/or mechanical functions is now faulty

b) the printer driver suddently gone haywire due to problems related to printer electronics.

c) the printer shelf life is coming to an end.

Hope I can get some expertise advise here.  If you have encountered this kind of problems, I would like to hear from you.  Thank you in advance.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 4 (1,149 Views)

Te cartridges in the PSC 1315 do not expire as such, and it is possible to use them beyond their end of warranty date.  It is possible that the cartridge has failed, or that the black cartridge has failed.  I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in this page

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation