Question

Student
Carrier
Message 1 of 2 (393 Views)

Driver Bugs: Failed ttempts to read HKCU\Software\HP\NG\Logging and to execute ".exe" at C:\Program

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I was optimizing the system performance and used MS Process Monitor (from Sysinternals) when noticed that HP processes are constantly trying to query the registry key HKCU\Software\HP\NG\Logging (HKCU - HKEY_CURRENT_USER). Each time the result is "NAME_NOT_FOUND", however the HP processes are still trying to access the key again and again - hundreds of times per second.

The query for mentioned registry keys is performed by HPNetworkCommunicator.exe, through rundll32.exe (using command line "C:\Windows\system32\RunDll32.exe" "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Photosmart 5510 series\bin\HPStatusBL.dll",RunDLLEntry SERIALNUMBER=CN19O09M5W05NR;CONNECTION=NW;MONITOR=1; ), and also by ScanToPCActivationApp.exe.

Another fault is that the same programs are trying to execute the file with name ".exe" using the path "C:\Program". Apparently, the string parsing is implemented incorrectly, and it should be "C:\Program Files\...", though the string is truncated, so the whole file path and file name are "broken".

Would highly appreciate if you fix that.

P.S.: I'm using HP Photosmart 5510 on Windows 7 Professional, connected over WiFi, if it matters.

Thanks in advance,

Oleg

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 2 (330 Views)

Driver Bugs: Failed ttempts to read HKCU\Software\HP\NG\Logging and to execute ".exe" at C:\Program

It looks like a registry key has been deleted. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer's driver and software. Make sure to use the Full Feature Software and Driver Download to ensure you have the most up to date driver. Let me know what happens.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation