Question

Top Student
Steve1407
Message 1 of 11 (250 Views)

Driver conflict

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software four times but once the printer has been idle for awhile, when next printing it displays on the panel a message it is printing butnothing comes out. It apears to lock. When initiating HP print ans scan doctor it tells me there is a driver conflict. I cannot get around this other than to turnn off the power and reboot the printer which works. This cannot be a permannent solution! Can you help as it is now frustrating and only occurred when I updated my software from HP!

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 2 of 11 (227 Views)

Re: Driver conflict

Hello Steve1407 and welcome to the HP forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues getting your printer reinstalled but with a bit more information I'd be happy to try and help :smileyhappy:

1. Which model HP printer do you have?
2. Which version of Windows do you have?
3. Is the printer connected via USB or wireless?
4. Have you tested the hardware? If it has a scanner, try making a copy. Try printing a test page directly on the unit.
5. Does the Print and Scan Doctor say there are any other issues, or just the Driver Conflict?

Once I have this information, I will do my best to help you further!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Steve1407
Message 3 of 11 (218 Views)

Hi Miss TeriLynn

It is a HP Officejet  pro 8550a all in one.

Windows 7 home edition

Connected via wireless but at one time also by USB

Yes hardware frozen until you unplug it.

No just a driver conflict.

Thanks and fingers crossed.

Steve

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 4 of 11 (211 Views)

Hi Steve1407,

Thanks for the reply!

At this point, I'd like to test the hardware itself, because if it's not working then that would explain why the software isn't able to get a print job through.

I'd like you to find a document and make multiple copies of it, or a multiple page document and make one copy. The making a copy will help narrow down where the problem is stemming from. If it's not able to get through the copy either, can you please ensure the printer is plugged directly to a wall outlet and then try again? If that also doesn't seem to resolve anything please make sure the printer is Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates.

Let me know how the hardware things go, and we will move from there :smileyhappy:

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Steve1407
Message 5 of 11 (203 Views)

We had done this already as the printer works both for printing and copying once we have cleared the problem by unplugging the printer. The latest software and firmware have been downloaded .

The scan and print doctor software does actually print out a test page once it has initiated its review of the printer but still highlights the driver conflict error. This action has been repeated on several occasions.

As the printer sits idle when you go back to print the printer shows it is printing and a Red Cross shows it to. The problem is it just locks in that position until you turn it off. When it comes back on it the print then comes out.
Top Student
Steve1407
Message 6 of 11 (182 Views)

Hi,

A further update. The printer again foze this morning on first use when I tried to photocopy a document. It would appear that it might be the printer itself as it should work on a photocopy process alone! It did also not allow me to print.

Regards

steve

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 7 of 11 (152 Views)

Hi Steve1407,

Thanks for the replies!

I had suspected it was more an issue with the printer, so on that note, were you able to plug the printer directly to a wall outlet? I'd like to make sure it's getting adequate power before we try any sort of reset :smileyhappy:

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Steve1407
Message 8 of 11 (135 Views)

I believe I have a faulty power lead so have ordered a newone and will revert once this is operational.

Steve

Top Student
Steve1407
Message 9 of 11 (104 Views)

Hi Teri ,,

Bad news I'm afraid! Purchased a ew power cable but same problem persists! Printing copying ok to start with but once printer idle for awhile, when next printing or copying the printer freezes until you switch it off and on again. Then you are good to go.

Any other ideas?

Regards

Steve
HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 10 of 11 (94 Views)

Hi Steve (Steve1407),

Thanks for getting back to me, and sorry to hear that didn't do the trick, but I'm hoping a reset will.

Please have a look through this HP Privacy Statement and then proceed to check your inbox for the reset instructions. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions :smileyhappy:

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation