Question

Student
MaxMuster
Message 1 of 5 (4,222 Views)
Accepted Solution

Driver for 916c deskjet

Hello i had to buy a new notebook and I only got Windows 7 with it. My problem is that my printer/the sofware of it doesn't start to install, after i download the software from this site. So please send me some links for some new drivers. Thanks
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (4,218 Views)

Re: Driver for 916c deskjet

MaxMuster wrote:
Hello i had to buy a new notebook and I only got Windows 7 with it. My problem is that my printer/the sofware of it doesn't start to install, after i download the software from this site. So please send me some links for some new drivers. Thanks

Install the Deskjet 990c driver as shown in this page.  Before Step 7 of this install driver part click on the "Windows Update" box.  This will take several minutes to update the available driver list.  If Windows Update is not enabled then see this page to enable Windows Update.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
RJD185
Message 3 of 5 (2,906 Views)

These instructions worked for me with the one exception that instead of selecting the 990c driver, I had to use the Deskjet 920c driver. With the 990c all the pages printed were blank. I now have the Deskjet 916c running with the Deskjet 920c driver. The one drawback I now have is that the driver does not seem to support the manual duplex but at least I can print. Thanks for the pointers.

Honor Student
dottiesflowers
Message 4 of 5 (2,318 Views)

RJD185 wrote:

These instructions worked for me with the one exception that instead of selecting the 990c driver, I had to use the Deskjet 920c driver. With the 990c all the pages printed were blank. I now have the Deskjet 916c running with the Deskjet 920c driver. The one drawback I now have is that the driver does not seem to support the manual duplex but at least I can print. Thanks for the pointers.

I will do so as soon as possible, thanks.

Top Student
RJD185
Message 5 of 5 (1,827 Views)

I keep considering replacing this printer (mainly for something faster) but with a bit of trial and error I found that with my generic photo paper and OEM cartridges refilled with budget ink from the local supermarket, I could still get pin sharp photo prints with good tone and skin colours out of the old beast. To be honest I remain impressed that after 12 years, this printer does so well - HP really nailed it with these printer types.

I probably should say obviously the use of non-HP paper with non-HP cartridges and non-HP ink would invalidate the guarantee, but since this printer is way past that, it doesn't bother me. However, you'll probably find some of this advice varies depending on exactly which paper, cartridges and ink you use.

Anyway, if you can get to the Printer Options in your application from where you are printing, these settings give me really good results with the Deskjet 920c driver installed on Windows 7:

1. Under Paper/Quality, set Media to be HP Photo Paper (I use this even on my current budget generic paper).
  2. Quality Settings - choose Best (obviously!)
  3. Color - I usually print in Color so this is what I'm working with
  4. Select Advanced for the good stuff!
  5. Under Image Color Management, change ICM Method to be 'ICM Handled by Printer'; leave ICM Intent on 'Pictures'
  6. Set Photo Mode to be 'On' (if you switch to plain paper and specify this on the Media selection above, you have to choose 'Off' for Photo Mode - still get decent prints but nowhere near as sharp)
  7. Brightness - set to Lighter
  8. Intensity - set to Light
  9. Color Tone - set to Warm
  10. Saturation - set to Vivid
  11. Ink Volume - leave as Normal
  12. Optimize for Photo Copy or Fax - leave Off

Deskjet_916c_Settings.jpg

The printing still takes a long time (near 10 minutes for a full A4 print) which is the biggest temptation to get a new printer.

I also use a grade of paper which is heavier than the Deskjet 916c is supposed to use (260gsm) and the rollers don't feed it well, although printing is fine once it is started. Sometimes (most times!) I have to nudge the trailing edge of a sheet to let the rollers grip it, so I would recommend sticking to a decent but thinner grade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation