Question

Top Student
Hazel-2014
Message 1 of 7 (209 Views)

Driver for Windows 8.1 to connect to HP Officejet V40 printer

I cannot find a driver on the HP driver download website that will connect my new HP laptop running Windows 8.1 to my HP Officejet V40 printer All-in-one.  I see there is one for Windows 8 both 32 and 64 bit versions and all operating systems back to XP, but for some reason there is none for latest 8.1 version.   I am very happy with my printer and dont want to part with it and will be very unhappy with HP if they have decided to stop offering an appropriate driver.  Any solutions?

HP Support Agent
JERENDS
Message 2 of 7 (176 Views)

Re: Driver for Windows 8.1 to connect to HP Officejet V40 printer

Hi Hazel-2014,

Sorry to hear about the install issues with the Officejet V40 on Windows 8.1. It would be best to run the HP Printer Install Wizard, this will not find and install HP full feature software though. It will install software provided from Microsoft.

To learn more and find the Printer Install Wizard, check this out: Supported Printers for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

I hope this helps get the printer installed for you.

Cheers,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Hazel-2014
Message 3 of 7 (131 Views)

Hello Jerends,

I have tried what you suggested, but no luck.  I have used the HP Print & Scan Doctor and went thru to "print test page" but only managed to print part of that page when Error came up and I havent been able to print a single word since then.  All I get is Error message when I try to print.   Obviously there is still no driver produced by HP to connect Windows 8.1 to Officejet V40 printers.  

My question now is can I download and run the driver for the Windows 8 (64 bit version) operating system which says on HP website will work on Officejet V40 ?  Will that work on Windows 8.1? 

Many thanks for your help to date.  It seems from forum discussions that I am not the only one with this problem.   Does HP intend offering a driver for Windows 8.1 to run this printer?  It would certainly be a great idea, and keep all the frustrated loyal HP product owners like me very very happy.

Cheers,

Hazel-2014

HP Support Agent
JERENDS
Message 4 of 7 (111 Views)

Did the Printer Install Wizard give an error, fail to locate the printer or did not run? That is a good idea regarding installing a driver for Windows 8, unfortunately it will not work to my knowledge.

This V40 does have a supported driver provided from Microsoft, this is and at least for the next foreseeable the only driver available. Try installing the driver manually. This will walk you through the steps: Printer Install Issues with Windows 8, out of the two options you want to troubleshoot the in-OS Drivers.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
Hazel-2014
Message 5 of 7 (94 Views)

Hello Jerends,

Thank you for your suggested solution to my printing problems.  I followed your instructions - deleting printer and finding my printer on the Microsoft list of HP printers, installed driver but my printer only prints 2 lines and comes up "Error".  I tried printing both from website and from a Word document on laptop, but both came up error.  I have run the HP Print Doctor but no luck.  Just prints out 1 line of the test page.  Any other solutions I can try?  Should I delete printer again and then try installing driver for Windows 8 even though you said it probably wont work on my Windows 8.1 system?  This is so frustrating.  Is HP intending to produce a driver to solve this problem?

In hopeful anticipation,

Hazel-2014

HP Support Agent
JERENDS
Message 6 of 7 (85 Views)

To my knowledge there will be no driver released for the V40 on 8.1 by HP, only what is available from Microsoft. You could try adding the printer as you did from my last troubleshooting suggestion, instead of selecting your V40 printer select the Deskjet 9800. This is a generic printer driver that gets used for a number for troubleshooting and fixes to printing issues.

If the Deskjet 9800 driver fails to complete a test print or a print from word, etc, I do not know if this printer will work fully for you.

This following suggest is a long shot, and I would only recommend it if you are comfortable doing so. Read the steps in this Microsoft document: How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC, under refresh it says;

"Note

If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished."

This may allow you to install the printer on 8 and then upgrade to 8.1.

Best of luck.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Top Student
Hazel-2014
Message 7 of 7 (77 Views)

Hello Jerends,

Thank you for your latest suggestions.  I have tried both the Deskjet 9800 HP and the Deskjet 9800 (Microsoft) drivers and neither works.  Interestingly, the Officejet V40 icon came up both times in  the Devices & Settings page when I installed each of the above drivers (one at a time after deleting previous one).  I set the Deskjet driver in each case as default printer, but all I kept getting was "Printer is in an error state". 

I am not experienced or confident enough to try your final suggestion of refresh and recovery, so I  think I will just try to download the Officejet v40 driver for Windows 8.  Nothing to lose now as nothing else is working.

Thank you for your continued help.  Please let me know if you come up with any other suggestions in the future. 

Hazel-2014

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation