Driver for photosmart 7520 won't install on Windows Vista (1032 Views)
Honor Student
tessnumrich
Message 1 of 29 (1,032 Views)

Driver for photosmart 7520 won't install on Windows Vista

I just bought a Photosmart 7520 multifunction printer, and after hours on the HP chat and with an external remote PC repair company, I cannot install the drivers on my OS Windows Vista.  I was able to install software, and connect wirelessly to scan. and I originally had another HP all in one installed for many years on this same OS w/no problems. 

I'm at my wits end with this install. 

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 29 (991 Views)

Where you trying to install from the CD or from a download? If from the CD, try installing from the download linked below.

http://goo.gl/2DCce
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
Wildernist
Message 3 of 29 (940 Views)

Re: Driver for photosmart 7520 won't install on Windows Vista

Having the same problem.  Software loaded ok on my XP.  Can send an email with the captured error message if needed.

The link before did not go anywhere.

Used disk and downloaded software with same error.

Thanks, Kirk

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 29 (922 Views)

Wildernist, I would recommend completely uninstalling the printer from the computer. Make sure that all copies of the printer and related files are removed from Programs and Features, the Device Manager, as well as Devices and Printers. If you are connected with a USB cable, make sure that the cable is removed from the printer during the duration of this.

Click START and type "%temp%" and press ENTER. This will open the temporary folder, and I want you to delete all files that you can here. Some will not be able to be removed, so skip those files.

Restart your computer.

Follow this link here and reinstall from teh Full_Feature Driver and Software.

http://goo.gl/gOG6u

Let me know how this goes!
Intern
Javauno
Message 5 of 29 (766 Views)

I have had the same trouble as Wildernest re Vista 64 not allowing drivers for the HP 7520 install (actually the new 7525).  I removed all evidence of the attempts and plan to start over.  Even went back to the store and exchaged the printer for a new one still in the box unopened. Do I download the Full Feature Driver & Software before I hook up the printer or do I power up the printer and connect to my router if going wireless or if going USB start the USB connection with the disc that comes with the printer.  This is the first printer I have had that was not an easy install and I would appreciate as much step by step help as you can provide.

Thanks,

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 29 (736 Views)

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems installing the printer. Just to quickly answer your question, you would have better luck if you use the Wireless Setup Wizard on the front panel of the printer first to get the printer on the network and then try the wireless installation from the download so that it finds the printer on the network.

Here is a link to the Photosmart 7525 (aka 7520 series) Full Feature Software and Drivers for Vista 64-bit. If you are having problems getting it to install then you may want to run Disk Cleanup under All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Disk Cleanup and reboot the PC before attempting the install.  This will help cleanup any of those left over registry files that are keeping it from installing properly.

Post on here if you have any more problems. I'm happy to help!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Intern
Javauno
Message 7 of 29 (725 Views)

Thanks for your help. At what point do I download the Full Feature Software and Drivers?  Before or after I begin the setup?  I know the installation for the printer will ask if you want to install from the disc or online once the printer finds the network.  In the past several attempts the printer always finds the network quickly.  No problem.  The trouble starts then by use of the disc or the online link where the downloads & drivers software message is "unable to find printer".  I have seen others say Vista 64 is the issue and I was just wondering if I should have the software downloaded before I start the setup?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 8 of 29 (718 Views)

I always set the printer up first, then went over to the computer to install the software, but honestly, I see no difference in the order particularly if it is having a hard time finding the printer during the installation.  I have seen this on every kind of printer and every kind of operating system equally.  I know of a combination of things I see more often and that is the anti-virus software (Kaspersky has a hard time with the printers), invalid IP addresses that start with 169 can cause a problem, and router security settings set to "Auto" or "Mixed Mode" or on the router.

Read through this document after setting up the printer onto the wireless network.  Share with me the printer's IP address and the results from following this document please.

--Unable to Find Printer During a Wireless Installation--

I hope this helps you get this printer installed!  If it does not, can you type in the IP address in a web browser and see the printer's embedded web server?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Intern
Javauno
Message 9 of 29 (710 Views)

Thanks for your help.  I tried you latest and still no printing.  I am worn out today.  I have beeen with this since about 2:30 PM EST. Still no luck, even with your help. The printer IP Address is 10.0.0.3 and so far today I have opened a brand new 7525 box, powered up and allowed the printer to find the wireless network which it did right away.  The network name from the router is HOME-74B8 (the router is a SMCD3GNV from Xfinity/Comcast). However, my HP Pavillion a6600f running Vista 64 says the network name is Network 5 if that is a problem. The printer, the router and the PC all show up in  Control Panel Network as does something HPD15F80(UPnP).

HP Scan Doc and Microsoft Fix It both fail to get the printer to print from the PC except when I access the printers page via the Internet. From there a test print works. Last but not least, when you go to Start, All Programs, HP and look for HP Photosmart 7520 series and click it say beneath it (empty).So no Connection options available. Using the Add Printer Wizard, no test page prints. 

Intern
Javauno
Message 10 of 29 (707 Views)

Also, I can get tot he printers page by typing in 10.0.0.3 but no sure how to determine if I can see the embedded web server.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation