Driver for photosmart 7520 won't install on Windows Vista (1032 Views)
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 21 of 29 (227 Views)

Re: Driver for photosmart 7520 won't install on Windows Vista

I'm back! Learn from my mistake and do not change the password or username and then forget where you wrote it down at and lock yourself out. I had to completely reset my router the hard way.

I could not find instructions on the firmware just yet but I did notice quite a few user complaints.  Here are four basic router settings to double-check:

1. Make sure encryption is set to WPA2/AES - this works best with HP printers.

2. Make sure it is set to 802.11 g broadcast mode (notice the g is in bold).

3. Channel 1 or Channel 11 (11 is usually standard).

4. Look for a button to update the firmware, or one called "check for firmware", or other banners across the router's main page (it usually says when it needs an update).

Remember to temporarily turn all firewall off on both the router and the computer (Windows and anti-virus) then see if you have an HP Folder under All Programs which should include a Device Setup and Software option to pick up where the latest installation left off (this saves you from using the installation from the website everytime).  

Usually installing a printer is easy so I am here to assist you all the way, but at this point, if you call into HP Tech support you will end up repeating every step and possibly referred to your router/ISP by this step but you do have options.  Still, I'm happy to help.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Intern
Javauno
Message 22 of 29 (222 Views)

The router site is not easy to follow.  The only one of the 4 items you mention that I know about is my router is on channel 11.  The restI can not find or confirm.  I see no way to disable the router firewall.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 23 of 29 (215 Views)

Then this is that point when you will want to contact Comcast/Xfinity.  I am sure they can do this for you.  When you call ask them to make sure your Ethernet network and wireless network are on the same default gateway and subnet.  Address the above suggestions as well.  Every time I referred a customer to their ISP at this point in the installation and checked back with them, their problem was fixed.  This will save you time and avoid causing further problems in case you press the wrong thing.  Let me know what they say as I strongly recommend you contact them.

Do you have a USB cable?  If you can install the printer successfully that way this will completely confirm this is not a problem with the installation but rather the network/router. Keep me posted!  Trust me, it's safer to do it with them on the phone.

Intern
Javauno
Message 24 of 29 (213 Views)

Thank you for all your help.  I had concluded the same and have already looked up the Xfinity Help telephone number.  I plan to call tomorrow.

I have a USB cable that came with the printer.  Back when I had the first printer, I had tried to go back and connect by USB but was not able to.  My printer is connected to the wireless but it seems as if no drivers are on my computer.  The PS7520_1315 file (Full Feature Software & Drivers) which failed to work for wireless should still be on my computer.  I may give it a try before I call Xfinity.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 25 of 29 (203 Views)

I am quite anxious to hear if they can help. In the meantime, I have actually resorted to old hand-written notes and have run across some more information.  I am here to help as long as you need me! Let me know of any error messages you get trying to install the printer USB, if they differ or are the same.  If you have problems with that, I would rather help you install the printer wirelessly since that is what you have been working on all along.  Device manager may be the culprit if USB will not install either (not to say it isn't the printer software or the router as well). I hope to hear good news!

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 26 of 29 (201 Views)

I was looking through the other post and noticed you are still missing folders from your HP folder in All Programs.  I am going to collaborate with all the steps done and let you know the best course of action.  I think it is the software installation has a much bigger problem than the router right now.  Let me document each step you and I have done thus far because you have a great expert on the other forum for specifically that problem with no HP folders.  

Intern
Javauno
Message 27 of 29 (195 Views)

Thanks for your continued interest in my problem.  I had to be away a great deal today on family matters.  Howevefr, beforfe I left I tried to do a USB install, I took the following steps:

-Turned off wireless at the printer

-Placed the CD that came with the printer in the PC

-Hooked PC to printer by USB that came with the printer

The install ground away and then said CONNECTED

-Next, said the install, let's print a pictuire

-Put photo paper in the printer

-Clicked print and . . .

-The message "There is a problem comminicating with the printer.  Check USB cable and vberify printer is ready

-USB cable was in and printer was ready so still no solution

Just for somethjing to do, I opened & ran PS7520_1315 (Full Features Software & Drivers) andit failed to install properly.

I also tried to call Xfinity before I had to go but could not get through to a technician.

Intern
Javauno
Message 28 of 29 (190 Views)

Thank you.  I never realized how much I depend opn printing and then readung my emails and chats.  I am having trouble now just keeping up with the steps.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 29 of 29 (187 Views)

Trust me, I completely understand.  I take full ownership with my "customers" and I can feel the same frustrations and I can get mixed up when I get too many with the same problem so thank you for your understanding and patience.  I can see your other forum and I will leave that one open to another expert's suggestions but I have been discussing your issue with the other experts here to see what you need to do next.  So you cannot print?  

Let me get you to a functioning state at the very least while more research is done to determine where the install is hanging.  Let's just try a generic install and see what happens.  

1.  Use the wireless setup wizard since you can connect with the printer's EWS (10.0.0.3). This page will allow you to scan and see ink levels and such.

2.  Go to your Devices and Printer's folder and click on "Add a printer" at the top.  See if it can find your network printer this way by adding a network printer and let me know if it finds it this way.  

3.  If not, go back and try to install it with the USB.  You do not have to remove the USB cable for any of these steps.  

If this software will not work, I will feel better if you can at least use the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation