Question

Top Student
jwhorton
Message 1 of 12 (285 Views)

Driver not compatible with a policy on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers

I've recently upgraded from WinXP SP3 to Vista Business and upgraded to SP2.  At first my CP1215 seemed OK.  But after shutting down and restarting, I had to re-install the printer.  Since then, I've been getting the captioned error.  I've downloaded and re-downloaded the most recent PNP software/driver package.  I keep getting the same error.  This is NOT a shared printer but one connected directly via USB.

All searches and solutions seem to relate to shared network printers with older drivers and mine is not the case.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 2 of 12 (255 Views)

Re: Driver not compatible with a policy on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers

Hi jwhorton,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are getting a error now after upgrading to Windows Vista.
I will be happy to help you.

It might be a issue with some registry files causing this error.

I would uninstall the software and download and install the Full Feature Software.

Here are the steps to run the uninstall from the computer or the CD.

To uninstall from program files:
Go start and select computer.
Select the C drive.
Select program files or program files x86.
Open the HP and printer name folder.
Select uninstall.

Uninstall the software from the CD:
Go start, computer, right click on the CD for the printer, left click open in a new window, double click on uninstall.

Here is the link for the Full Feature Drivers.

HP Color LaserJet Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Please let me know if you require any additional assistance.

Is there a second computer?

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.
Have a great day.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
jwhorton
Message 3 of 12 (248 Views)

Re: Driver not compatible with a policy on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers

I've already performed this uninstall/reinstall, twice. As I tried to say in my post, I've tried everything posted, almost everywhere, since 2007/8. I agree that something is wrong with the registry; but the un/re-install doesn't clear it. I've even tried the "set a group policy" fix in the registry, even though this printer is directly connected. Since I've tried many things, multiple times, I can't remember exactly what/when. I do seem to recall that the first un-reinstall did seem to help. But as soon as I rebooted, things seemed to revert back to the NT driver situation. So I need a new method to evaluate my registry to find what needs fixed.
Top Student
jwhorton
Message 4 of 12 (247 Views)

I'll add further: I believe that I tried the CD, first, then the downloaded PNP install.
HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 5 of 12 (231 Views)

Hi jwhorton,

If you aren't sure if you ran the uninstall from the CD, please do.

It should actually remove the registry keys.

Make sure the USB cable is disconnected.

Uninstall the software from the CD:
Go start, computer, right click on the CD for the printer, left click open in a new window, double click on uninstall.

I will send you a PM for removing the registry keys too, to make sure there are no ghost keys.

Please check your private messages.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Thank You.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
jwhorton
Message 6 of 12 (226 Views)

I checked last night. The CD that I have did not have an uninstall option. The software folder did not have an uninstall option, eight; but this happened a lot with much of the software folders when I upgraded to Vista Ultimate.
Top Student
jwhorton
Message 7 of 12 (223 Views)

Received the PM. You were a little fuzzy about the "allow all" permissions. But I was able to change group SYSTEM OWNERS to "Full Control". However, there was only one Vid03 key present and it seemed to refer to various items related to "usbprint.inf" at a location usbprint and a Harware-ID attribute that references a couple of Vid_03 keys that don't exist in the USB folder. There is a USBPRINT key that seems to have a folder entry for my printer. No apparent Vid_03 key, there though. There are no Vid_00 keys present in the USB folder. Uncertainty remains.........
HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 8 of 12 (209 Views)

Hi jwhorton,

I have provided some steps to go through to see if this will resolve the issue.

Sorry for having to repeat a lot of the steps.

Disconnect the USB cable.

Uninstall the printer software again from the CD.

I would like you to create a new administrator user account, just in case there is some hidden corruption based off of your current user account. Please follow these specific steps, since I am providing instructions on unlocking a specific user account:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator. To do that, go to the start menu, type “CMD” in the search bar. Now, you should see a shortcut for CMD above. Right click on it, and click “run as administrator”. If it asks you for administrative permission, please allow permission. In your Command Prompt window (as administrator), type the following and hit Enter: net user administrator /active:yes

You should see a message saying "the command completed successfully". After troubleshooting is done, you can disable this account by typing the following command into Command Prompt (as administrator): net user administrator /active:no. Restart the computer, and utilize the new account that is available, which should be named "Administrator". In this user account, proceed with the following:

(Note, ensure these changes are completed in the Administrator account that was just created.)

After this account is created, I would like you to perform a clean boot on the computer. This will prevent most third-party programs from interfering with the software installation, since some third-party programs can provoke this issue. Here is some information on how to perform a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

The next step is performing a System File Check. Go to start, select run type in cmd, run Command Prompt as administrator again. Type in this command and hit Enter afterward: sfc /scannow.

SFC stands for System File Checker, and it scans and attempts to restore corrupted Windows files. Running this might find a corrupted file or service and repair it. After it completes it will basically say either no corrupted files were found, corrupted files were found and repaired, or corrupted files were found but were unable to be repaired. Restart after this completes and record your results.

After the check is complete, I want to ensure that all Windows updates have been installed. Here is some information on how to install all of your Windows updates: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-vista/install-windows-updates

Before you install the printer again, I would like you to re-register the Windows Installer service.

Go to start, select run type in msiexec  /unregister then click OK, then type in msiexec  /regserver then click OK.
(make sure you are typing it in exactly there is a space in between)

Do a msconfig to turn off any startup programs.

Temporarily turn off the Antivirus softare.

Click on start, select run, enter, then type in msconfig, click OK.

Click the Services tab.
Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
Click Disable All, and then click OK.

Then click on the start up tab at the top.
Click on disable all.

Reboot the computer.

Download and install the Full Feature Drivers.

HP Color LaserJet Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Then go back into msconfig and enable the All Microsoft Services and enable all on the start up tab. Turn the Antivirus software back on again.

Please let me know the results.

Thank You.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
jwhorton
Message 9 of 12 (203 Views)

Again, my CD does not offer an uninstall option. All that I've been able to do is Win/uninstall everything "HP" and I've deleted all HP folders in Program Files. I'm still troubled by the USBPRINT folder in the registry containing information about the printer.
HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 10 of 12 (176 Views)

Hi jwhorton,

USBprint in the registry enables printers to print via USB. Please don't remove it.

I would do a reinstall of the Vista operating system to try and resolve this issue.

Please let me know if you require any additional assistance.

Thank You.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation