Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw which has the 79 error when wife was doing some printing. I downloaded the firmwear up date but doesn't complete the install eventhough the progress shows 100%. Printed has only printed 400 pages since new. Need help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You need to go to the link below and download the firmware update file and then run it and follow the instructions.  You usually just have to tell the app what printer to update and it does it from there.  Takes just a few minutes.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-200-color-mfp-m276/5097648/model/509...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

How is the printer connected.  Do you get the 79 error when you turn on the printer.  If you do, disconnect the printer from the computer or network and turn the printer on.  Does it come to ready without the error.  If it does it means one of the computers still has a pending job which is confusing the printer each time it is turn on.  Delete all jobs from the printq of both computers and reconnect and see if the printer comes to ready.  If it does, download the firmware again.  Keep in mind what you see on the computer screen as to progress of the update is only the sending of the file not necessarily the printer taking the update.  If the printer is on ready you should see action on the display of the printer telling you the progress of the firmware update.

HP Recommended

Not sure what happened but printer is working OK again. According the printer report my firmwear level datecode is 20131216. Smart install SW version is 07/19/2012.1.0.12201.646 and I'm running Win10 If I run the firmwear updater again how long should it take and when will I know if it was updated correctly?

HP Recommended

OK found the update menu on printer but get an error "unable to connect to service" check internet connection. Does printer need to have USB cable connected?

HP Recommended

You need to go to the link below and download the firmware update file and then run it and follow the instructions.  You usually just have to tell the app what printer to update and it does it from there.  Takes just a few minutes.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-200-color-mfp-m276/5097648/model/509...

HP Recommended

As of this posting printer firmwear updated and all working ok

HP Recommended

The solution of David Zuts worked for a similar issue occurring on a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277. The message on the control panel only said '79 Service Error. Turn off then on', which was necessary but insufficient. I needed to disconnect the printer and cancel pending jobs to restore normal functioning. Otherwise the system was looping into the attempt to restart. The answer of David Zuts provided the missing links. I did not need to install a new firmware to fix this, even though that appeared to be overdue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.