Firmware update - "not connected" error - photosmart C4480 (921 Views)
Student
SmittyHP
Message 1 of 12 (921 Views)

Firmware update - "not connected" error - photosmart C4480

I am trying to update the firmware on a Photosmart C4480.  This printer does become unresponsive which is supposed to be corrected by the update. I am running Windows XP Home.

Although the printer does print and scan I get the error message "device not connected" when I try and run the update.  I have tried this on two different computers and two differnet cables.  I have restarted the printer many times, reset the printer and am unable to get past this message.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 12 (879 Views)

Re: Firmware update - "not connected" error - photosmart C4480

Under your printers folder, does it show that the printer is connected there?

Also, have you tried a hard reset on the printer?

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the power button to turn it on.

Try that and let me know if it helps!

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
Kobac
Message 3 of 12 (844 Views)

I am having the same problem with getting stuck on the window "Device Not Connected". But it _is_ connected. I tried the hard reset that you suggested, but no joy.

My printer is a Photosmart C4780; the filename of the firmware update is C4700_FWUpdate_4362_HPCOM_v1.exe. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

It appears that I'm not alone. I've seen several other posters with the same problem, some going back several months.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 12 (809 Views)

Is the printer connected to the computer by USB or through a network connection?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Tutor
Kobac
Message 5 of 12 (802 Views)

USB.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 6 of 12 (790 Views)

That's really strange....Try unplugging the USB cable, then opening the firmware update utility. Once it is open, go plug the USB cable back in and see if it detects it that way. 

Signature
Tutor
Kobac
Message 7 of 12 (778 Views)

"That's really strange....Try unplugging the USB cable, then opening the firmware update utility. Once it is open, go plug the USB cable back in and see if it detects it that way."

Tried it - did not work.  :smileysad:

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 8 of 12 (752 Views)

Does the computer even recognize the printer when you plug in the USB cable? Are you able to perform any functions with the printer from the computer?

Signature
Tutor
Kobac
Message 9 of 12 (744 Views)

The printer works fine EXCEPT that I cannot install the firmware update NOR can I run the HP Solution Center program.

I also posted that last problem under the topic "Re: re-installed softwear. But no HP Solution Centre" since I saw that many other people had that same problem.

Tutor
Kobac
Message 10 of 12 (698 Views)

Correction - my Photosmart C4780 prints and copies normally from the front panel, but I cannot scan in this manner. I have to resort to using MS Paint to scan anything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation