Question

Honor Student
BarkerA
Message 1 of 8 (14,708 Views)

Full drivers & Support for Hp Photosmart 8250 for Windows 7

The basic driver is not working. It does not let you get past the support for the ink running low etc. When is full compatible being done.

Thank you.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 8 (14,698 Views)

Re: Full drivers & Support for Hp Photosmart 8250 for Windows 7

BarkerA wrote:

The basic driver is not working. It does not let you get past the support for the ink running low etc. When is full compatible being done.

Thank you.

Based on the information on this page I would not expect a driver from HP.COM for the Photosmart 8250.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
Mikkek
Message 3 of 8 (14,502 Views)

What features will not be available with generic drivers? I am especially interested in automatic duplex printing and paper type selection. Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 8 (14,448 Views)

Mikkek wrote:

What features will not be available with generic drivers? I am especially interested in automatic duplex printing and paper type selection. Thanks.

The automatic duplex printing is available, but needs to be enabled.  You will need to go to the printers folder, right click on the Photosmart 8250, Printer properties, Device Settings, Installable Option, set the duplexer to installed, OK.  The paper type includes a wide range of sizes and paper types.  There are also advanced color settings.  You may not have ink level information or some of the servicing options. 

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
McJaffa
Message 5 of 8 (11,101 Views)

That answer is not exactly true.

The 'wide range of sizes' is false, as it only covers 9 sizes, A4, A5, legal, letter, etc. There is no support for photo paper sizes at all, and worst of all there is no support for the photo tray on this printer!

If you want to print out a 10 x 15cm photo print, which is the reason I bought the printer, then you cannot do it in windows 7.

When you go to choose the page details, you only get a choice of Main Tray, and only get a choice of larger page sizes so letters & envelopes are covered but bothing else.

The motorised photo tray is ignored so basically all you are meant to do with it is print letters and envelopes...which is bizarre for a printer designed for photos....the clue is in the name PHOTOsmart.

The lack of proper Windows 7 support from HP is very poor and puts me off buying anotehr HP printer which I may now have to do since HP have such poor after sales support for their products. I have moved on to Windows 7 so I don't have much choice. Another perfectly good, working printer made useless by lack of support.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 8 (11,076 Views)

McJaffa wrote:

That answer is not exactly true.

The 'wide range of sizes' is false, as it only covers 9 sizes, A4, A5, legal, letter, etc. There is no support for photo paper sizes at all, and worst of all there is no support for the photo tray on this printer!

If you want to print out a 10 x 15cm photo print, which is the reason I bought the printer, then you cannot do it in windows 7.

When you go to choose the page details, you only get a choice of Main Tray, and only get a choice of larger page sizes so letters & envelopes are covered but bothing else.

The motorised photo tray is ignored so basically all you are meant to do with it is print letters and envelopes...which is bizarre for a printer designed for photos....the clue is in the name PHOTOsmart.

[snip]

There are two drivers available in Windows 7 for the Photosmart 8200 series printers.  Choose the one listed as HP Photosmart 8200 series (HP) and there are more than 80 paper sizes listed, selection for the photo tray and other features.  What driver are you using?

719i0ED65E9941D47A2A

720i925325557FE48DEE

721i8EC774E280803785

Student
amigafan
Message 7 of 8 (10,813 Views)

I have attempted this solution and it doesn't give me the screens you have displayed.  I am using Windows 7 64 bit.  Can you offer other suggestions to enable the use of the photo tray for the 8250?

Thanks

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 8 (10,812 Views)

The screens I showed were from my Windows 7 x64 machine.  Do you have the HP Photosmart 8200 series (HP) as an option in the print driver selection (in addition to the Microsoft version)?  One other thing to check would be to make sure the tray is assigned and not set to "not available".  This is done from the Devices and Printers folder, right click on the Photosmart 8200 series, Printer Properties, Device Settings and select the appropriate paper size for the photo tray.

828i9252227FB981C796

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation