Question

Honor Student
Adam_in_Ontario
Message 1 of 8 (8,667 Views)

HELP! repeated msiexec.exe warning events after installing LaserJet P2055dn

Hello everyone,

I recently installed 3x HP LaserJet P2055dn printers for a customer. The customer has a total of 5 workstations. The printers are connected via USB cable to their dell desktop computers that are using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. The printer software/driver was installed from the CD-ROM that was included with each device. During the installation, there was an option to check for updated software - the application reported that there was no updated software available, so I proceeded.

The Printers have been shared in Windows so that any printer can be accessed from any workstation. We figured this would be a good idea incase one printer failed.

This setup is currently working properly, and users can print to any printer that they wish with 100% success. However, they are occasional receiving a message that "Program C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe - This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application’s support team for more information". I cannot for the life of me guess at what, beyond the printers, is trying to access this file.

After this error was reported to me, i decided to check the Windows Event Log. From the event log I am seeing the log is being *FILLED* with errors and warnings messages that reference HP Drivers and Software.

For example, in the Windows XP "Application Event Log" I see dozens of the following event messages:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11728
Date:  13/10/2009
Time:  12:50:26 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: WS01
Description:
Product: 32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer -- Configuration completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
Data:

0000: 7b 46 37 42 30 45 35 39   {F7B0E59
0008: 39 2d 43 31 31 34 2d 34   9-C114-4
0010: 34 39 33 2d 42 43 34 44   493-BC4D
0018: 2d 44 38 46 43 37 43 42   -D8FC7CB
0020: 42 41 42 42 42 7d         BABBB} 

These events seem to be generated at an incredibly high frequency. On one day, I see that the events were being reported *every second*. I thought that perhaps it was being done each time a print job was sent, but this does not seem to be the case, as it is occuring even when the printer is idle.

From the information in the event, it sounds like some portion of the printers drivers/software is repeatedly applying configuration information to the device - over & over & over again.

These events are occuring on all 3 of the workstations which have a LaserJet P2055dn directly connected via USB.

Also, inside of the "System" event log, I am seeing the following message over and over and over again:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 20
Date:  14/10/2009
Time:  9:14:33 AM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: WS01
Description:
Printer Driver HP LaserJet P2050 Series PCL6 for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- unidrv.dll, hpmdp6bu.dll, hpc205h6.GPD, unidrv.hlp, hpcp205h.exp, hpc205h6.XML, hpcsc6bu.DTD, hpc205hc.INI, hpcP6.hpx, hpcui6bu.DLL, hpcpe6bu.DLL, hpc3r6bu.DLL, hpc6r6bu.DLL, hpcbr6bu.DLL, hpcdmc32.DLL, hpbcfgre.DLL, cioum.dll, CIOUM32.msi, hpc6m6bu.GPD, hpcsm6bu.GPD, hpcst6bu.DLL, hpcur6bu.dll, hpmsn6bu.DLL, hpmsl6bu.DLL, hpcsn6bu.dem, hpcsat.dll, hppdvq01.dll, hppccdvq32.dll, hpcev6bu.DLL, pclxl.DLL, pjl.GPD, pclxl.GPD, HPCHL6bu.CAB, UNIRES.DLL, UNIDRVUI.DLL, STDNAMES.GPD, STDDTYPE.GDL, STDSCHEM.GDL, STDSCHMX.GDL, hpcls6bu.DLL, hpcss6bu.DLL, hpcpn6bu.dll, hpcc36bu.DLL.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go. microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

So, not only does the driver seem to be changing itself on an incredibly frequent basis, but something is accessing the microsoft installer application in the same manner.

Please, could anyone assist with this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Honor Student
Adam_in_Ontario
Message 2 of 8 (8,634 Views)

Re: HELP! repeated msiexec.exe warning events after installing LaserJet P2055dn

Bump!

Please, I'd really like to get this fixed.

Honor Student
Adam_in_Ontario
Message 3 of 8 (8,594 Views)

Bump again.

I still need help with this - I can provide more information if that would be helpful, just let me know!

Honor Student
zoomzoom
Message 4 of 8 (8,589 Views)

Why not just turn off the HP automatic update service?

There are several other automatic updater's that can also be a nuisance, especially on slower PC's. EG: adobe and google.

I just update them manually every month or two.

-Bill 

Honor Student
Adam_in_Ontario
Message 5 of 8 (8,587 Views)

Based on the windows event log postins above, you're thinking it's an auto-updater process? I guess it's a possibility...I can definetly give that a shot.

It seemed more like a driver thing to me, but I can add this to my list of things to check.

Thanks!

Honor Student
zoomzoom
Message 6 of 8 (8,586 Views)

And - java and microsoft..
Honor Student
zoomzoom
Message 7 of 8 (8,577 Views)

It looks like you have both a print driver warning and an auto update update gripe.

After turning off the update service, I'd delete the printer, reboot, the add it back. 

Student
CptJer88
Message 8 of 8 (5,000 Views)

I took the workaround number 1, from the link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01682861&dimid=1001553288&di...

but applied to file cioum64.msi in the same \x64\3 described.  So far it has worked!

Gee thanks HP for your quick response to this!  The CIO apparently is a part of the UPD referenced in the article that corrects the problem with the old driver!  What a laugh, yeah it corrects the one msi issue and changes it to another msi issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation