Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello MissTeriLynn - glad to hear from you!

I had already comprehensively read the link that you sent me about the DIFxAPI.dll file.

And, as I wrote here on July 14th: The DIFxAPI.dll file is indeed present on my PC: once in Windows/System32/ and once more in Windows/SysWOW64/ But, obviously, it also needs to be somewhere else for the uninstalling program to work. But where?

The best advice of that thread is: "Reinstall the program that uses the difxapi.dll file.". But, as I have already written here, I can't install the HP program because it already thinks that the software is installed.

So in short:

1) I can't uninstall the HP software program because a DIFxAPI.dll file is missing (but this file is where it SHOULD be, e.g. in my Windows/System32/ and Windows/SysWOW64/ directories.

2) I can't install the HP software program because the installerprogram thinks it's already present on my PC

3) I can't use the "Modify" option of the Windows Control Panel  because I get this error message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resourse that is unavaiable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "DJ251x64.msi" in the box below.

The problem is that I have no idea where the HP installation package extracts its files... In a temp directory, sure, but I can't find the DJ251x64.msi file...

Regards,

Henry

HP Recommended

Hello everybody and especially  MissTeriLynn!

Well, I'm glad to be able to report that I managed to solve the problem. This is what I did:

As you know, I was unable to remove the corrupted HP software program because I was missing the DIFxAPI.dll file.

And I couldn't reinstall the new HP software because it thought that it was already present on my PC! A real chicken and egg situation.

As I also wrote, the DIFxAPI.dll file was indeed present on my PC: once in Windows/System32/ and once more in Windows/SysWOW64/ But, obviously, it was needed to be present somewhere else for the uninstalling program to work properly. But where?

So I went to Windows/SysWOW64/ and I copied the DIFxAPI.dll file. I then pasted it in every HP and Hewlett-Packard directory and sub-directory that I could find on my PC, mainly in the program files(x86) main directory.

I then tried to uninstall the software program and it worked! The uninstalling program thus needed the DIFxAPI.dll file to be present in the HP directory.

I then ran the latest version (4.4 - out a few days ago) of HP Scan and Print Doctor. It correctly identified my printer and also the fact that no software was installed. It then downloaded the latest package and installed it. Problem finally solved.

Once again, many thanks for your patience and for your input.

Cheers,

Henry

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.