Question

Top Student
Keando
Message 1 of 19 (4,332 Views)

HP 5520 Firmware Update

Hi,

There is a firm ware update for the HP Photosmart 5520 Printer. I have down loaded the version for Win XP and tried to run the file but it fails to detect the printer. I have turned the printer off and on again and tried to re run the update but it still can not detect the printer.

I have run the HP Print & Scan Doctor which detects the printer ok and doesnt find any issues.

The printer is connected by USB to the PC that I'm trying to run the update on.

Can anyone provide any help?

Many thanks

Ken

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 19 (4,298 Views)

Re: HP 5520 Firmware Update

Hi Keando,

You might try a different usb port and different (as short as possible) usb cable.   If that doesn't help, can you answer a few questions?

• When you are running the download, what is the exact message you receive?
  • When you installed the printer, did you use the disk that came with the printer?
  • Have you tried temporarily to turn off you firewalls?  I know that may sound off the wall since the printer is printing, but I've seen stranger things happen with firewalls.  It may be worth a try.
  • If you print a status report (select the "Wrench" button on the screen of the printer, Tools and then Printer Status Report), what is your firmware version?
  • Most of the updates for the firmware will not effect your setup.  For the most part, the firmware updates are directed toward Windows 8 and wireless users.  Is there a particular issue you are looking to improve?
Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
Keando
Message 3 of 19 (4,277 Views)

Hi Rich

Thank you for your reply

Answers below:

Click update button then HP Device update changes to: 

Hp Device update can not proceed.

1. Check that your device is

- Connected to your computer

- Powered On

- not in an error state (paper jam, cover open, out of paper)

2.  Clear any error states

3.  Click Start again.

No error states, powered up and connected to pc just printed a document from it....

Used the disk that came with the printer

Tried turning off Wirewall

Firmware Version MGP1CN1242BR

Tried Printer in Wireless mode (now turned off and uninstalled fom PC) but it kept losing the connection and various laptops  & pc's could not print to it (win 7 & XP)

Looking to improve the Wireless and the fact that the printer goes missing - turned on and connected but print jobs get lost in transit from both the local machine and remote machines.

Many thanks

Ken

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 19 (4,271 Views)

[ Edited ]

Did you install the printer to the Windows 7 computer with a disk?  If so, can you  uninstall  it, and reinstall it (with usb - be sure and leave the usb disconnected until the installation instructions ask for connection)  using the Full Feature driver download from hp.com?  Click Here

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
Keando
Message 5 of 19 (4,223 Views)

Hi

The printer is connected by USB to a XP machine and is shared on my home network so that other pc's/laptops can print to it. The wireless option on the printer is turned off as all machines were having issues where they could not print to the printer. Can not communicate with printer error. I get this error with the XP machine that the printer is connected to.

When installing on the Win 7 Pc's & laptops I did use the disk but used the basic setup rather than the full feature as I dont want some of the stuff that Hp install.

Many thanks

Ken

Top Student
Keando
Message 6 of 19 (4,215 Views)

Hi

An update - I have installed the printer on a Win 7 pc as mentioned above and I still get the same problem when trying to carryout the firmware update- a loop to start  the  update then an error as mentioned above - No errors found.

Many thanks

Ken

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 7 of 19 (4,186 Views)

Hi Ken,

I'm going to do some research on this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 8 of 19 (4,174 Views)

Doing some extra cleanup during the uninstall may help.  I can help you with that.  What are the brand names of your computers?  Is the Win 7 computer 32 or 64 bit?

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Top Student
Keando
Message 9 of 19 (4,168 Views)

Hi Rich

the win xp is a self built machine the win 7 is a 32 bit hp desktop

many thanks

Ken
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 10 of 19 (4,159 Views)

I am going to recommend an L3 uninstall for the HP Win 7 32 bit computer along with a download and reinstall with a driver from hp.com.  If this works, you can do an L3 or L4 uninstall on the XP machine.  You can use the same links below for the XP download.  You do not want to do an L4 uninstall on an HP computer.  Let me know what happens.

Try using the scrubber built into the

• CD,  or
  • Download. 

From original printer installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for non-HP computers only.    For HP computers run the Uninstall_L3.bat

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

9. Use the following tool to clean the registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=b...

10. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108807-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

11. Run the download to reinstall the printer

From a download:

1. Run disk cleanup on your computer

2. Download and run the software and drivers below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108807-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

3. Once the download is done extracting, cancel the download.

4.. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

5. Type %temp% in the run field and click OK.

6. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

7. Open folder Util

8. Open folder CCC

9. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat for non-HP computers only.    For HP computers run the Uninstall_L3.bat

10. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

11. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

12. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

13. Use the following tool to clean the system and registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=b...

14. Download the full feature software and drivers

15. Run the download to reinstall the printer

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation