Question

Honor Student
Labelguy
Message 1 of 1 (1,696 Views)

HP 6500 E709n Starter CD Installation failure and fix using Win XP-Pro SP-3

As the starter CD win V12.0.0 would not install (some casual error msg.) on my 1.9GHZ, 2MEG Ram, 800Meg FSB, 180GB HardDisk, Intel 848P-A motherboard. So I downloaded HP's on-line software (03-2009 V.12  191.07M) and Installed it from my harddisk (download time was about 25-30 min) this seamed to do the trick. Why, I have no idea?

After the first round of the main software install ( about 30 min) the software did not completely work at that point. I ran the software's update module, and the software found 2 issues that it needed to fix. 1 issue was a windows browser incompatibility. I was using Internet Explorer V.8. Issue number 2 was a shutdown-restart software issue that was known in the software's previous release. The update downloaded both patches. This download and install took about 1 1/2 hours to complete the download even though I use a DSL bandwidth of 2Megs. It wasn't the download time so much as it was the software installation time to complete. At one point I thought the software patch was not working or had HUNG! Finely the installation patch was complete.

Upon set-up of the HP 6500's features using the Starter CD software I found the Fax portion of the software still did not work as I could not use the Fax set-up module. A error code was the result of trying to use the Fax portion of the software. On a educated guess using part of what the error code said was the issue, a file called hposfx08.exe, I located the install folder and opened the Fax install folder and used the install program that was found inside of the folder called hposfx08.exe and manually ran the install again. This fixed the Fax installation issue.

In summation; I was very disappointed in just how long and how much trouble it was to install the Starter CD. And how many issues and patches, and download time, and install time it took. This is not rocket science and no way should it be this difficult and take 10 hours just to setup one HP 6500 printer. This was a replacement for a Lex mark 4800 all-in-one printer that was still working. The only reason I purchased this HP 6500 all-in-one printer was the massive amount of INK the Lexmark used a month. I can honestly say "the install software for the Lexmark 4800 was far superior and took less than 15min to complete" plus the software was much better than HP's software. The street price of the Lexmark 4800 was $59.00, the street price of the HP 6500 was $139.00.

I hope I don't regret my purchase of this HP 6500 E709n All-In-One Printer and I hope this explanation of how I fixed HP's Starter CD install for the 6500 printer will help others who follow.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation