Question
HP 6500 Wireless BLACK INK ONLY
Replies (25)

Student
lrosenbhp
Message 11 of 26 (3,576 Views)

Re: HP 6500 Wireless BLACK INK ONLY

Want to add my voice to the clamor. What's more I was TOLD by my salesperson that this printer did have a black-ink-only feature. I've been hunting for it ever since. Now I know I can stop looking. But seriously, HP, you can see how many of us want the black ink only option. How about cutting us a break and NOT losing a bunch of customers next time? I will try using the empty color cartridges. I only use color once in a blue moon, so I think this trick will work for me. Once I'm out of the color cartridges, I simply won;t buy any more. (Or, ok, I will buy them-- once in a blue moon!!!) 

I'm also finding this printer constantly hesitates in the middle of a  printing job. Even a very small one of 4-5 pages! The paper will be halfway sticking out printing and suddenly stop. Anyone else having this problem? What do we do to pick up the pace of thing thing? 

Finally, you know, just give us the darn printed manual. I do NOT want to have to go online everytime. That uses energy, too!

Top Student
NCRabin
Message 12 of 26 (3,555 Views)

(  After repeated inquiries to HP, and after getting their 'explanations', I posted above, see my 01-19-2010 post.;

As per my posting: OJ6500 DOES HAVE black-ink only, BUT WON'T allow it for DOUBLE-SIDED printing.

Therefore, still thru Feb. 2011!,  To print a 10 page double sided document in black-ink only, you print: p. 2-3, the p. 6-7, then p. 10, then [your re-insert the pages into your paper try and] print p. 1, then p. 4-5, then p. 8-9;

Very tedious!

As per my posting, the old HP printers allowed it [manual, black-ink only, double-sided printing], but HP's excuse for the OJ6500 is: 'automatic duplex [which exists on some OJ6500 sub-models] would bleed/ smudge [not yet dry] ink; 

Big deal: HP should simply allow MANUAL DUPLEX option [which gives time for ink to dry].  What's the big deal!!

Or, HP should simply allow printing ODD pages only, or EVEN pages only, as printer 'drivers' for:  many other printers; and,  many application programs [e.g., MS Word, Adobe Reader], have.

But despite HP even [going through all of the work of]  having UPDATED the HP OJ6500 printer driver, [latest, Sept. 2010], they [HP]  STUBBORNLY refused to do either solution [[Manual Duplex feature; or, at least 'ODD only/EVEN only' pages, printing, option.]]

WHY IS HP 'at WAR with' this important functionality!  Unbelievable.)

I don't know your printer problem.

But, suggestion: try to assure that all of your HP drivers are up to date.  (go to 'Download Drivers and Software page' for: HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer series; select your printer model, select your operating system; install drivers; and [if present for your operating system] install latest version of firmware [which does fix some 'speed'/'pausing' problems];

Contact HP if this doesn't help.

Student
Jimif
Message 13 of 26 (3,443 Views)

I have to say I have always purchased hp for my home and office.

I purchased this printer at staples and specifically explained the most important thing was to print in black ink only, as I have 3 HS aged children.

Of course I was assured this would be the case.

I will never purchase another hp and have already warned off several buyers. Im sure its a quick fix, but they prefer printing money on the people that were miss lead.

Student
mattsd
Message 14 of 26 (3,309 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP, seriously. You've had years to fix this issue. The printer itself has been fairly reliable, but I'm spending another $50 today with you {Content Removed} because of this. Guess what kind of printer I'll be buying later this year? 

Hint: not an HP. I hope an employee monitors this board, because it's a bellweather of where your printer business is going to go in spite of your fancy eprint technology.

Student
srrjr
Message 15 of 26 (3,275 Views)

Re: HP 6500 Wireless BLACK INK ONLY - Same problem on 990c

I have the same problem when i tried to use my trusty old hp 6127.

It did BW printing using only black ink on windows xp using its duplex tray.

WHen i upgraded to winodws 7, the driver is not available and hp recommends using the HP 990c driver instead,

THis driver unfortunately uses the color ink even when you specify Block ink only.

However i tried the 932C driver and it works fine - it uses only black ink.

The 932 driver does not autmatically recognize the duplex and i need to specify that i have a duplex installed; after that

the duplex works and so does the Black-ink only.

HP is making tons of money on ink and then they still want to cheat you with the color ink trick on duplex printers.

Tutor
TabTreeJunkie
Message 16 of 26 (3,245 Views)

The solution is actually easy, but the HP staff won't share it with you. I am convinced that it is a scam.

Anyhow, here the solution is:

I also have the OfficeJet 6500 and had the same problem. The black text was printing using a mix of colored inks instead of the black ink, resulting in a grey, fuzzy text. I finally found a solution. In each application under Page Setup, there is an option called "Format for". Mine had been set to "Any Printer". I changed that to "Officejet 6500 E709n [830E4A]" and now it prints the black just fine. I have a Mac running 10.4.11. Hope this helps.

Tutor
TabTreeJunkie
Message 17 of 26 (3,244 Views)

Re: HP 6500 Wireless BLACK INK ONLY - Same problem on 990c

In addition to:

I also have the OfficeJet 6500 and had the same problem. The black text was printing using a mix of colored inks instead of the black ink, resulting in a grey, fuzzy text. I finally found a solution. In each application under Page Setup, there is an option called "Format for". Mine had been set to "Any Printer". I changed that to "Officejet 6500 E709n [830E4A]" and now it prints the black just fine. I have a Mac running 10.4.11. Hope this helps.

I also have switched the settings in each of my software packages to 'greyscale' and 'black cartridge only'

Top Student
NCRabin
Message 18 of 26 (3,227 Views)

(On my PC,  my HP OJ 6500 non-wireless [E709a] doesn't have: under page-setup [if present], 'Format for' options [e.g., I.E. Explorer 8])
So on your Mac, please confirm, Did you actually print 2-SIDED black ink only with your HP OJ 6500??
[I doubt it, but if HP allowed that work-around for the MAC, that would be important news for PC users.  Please reply.]

Honor Student
johnbr549
Message 19 of 26 (2,951 Views)

HMM. I'm having trouble with black ink not working ive ran all of the ink troubleshooting but all is ok. my black ink will not print. i cant seem to figure it out. ive cleaned everything and changed like 3 cartridges thinking it maybe in those, but i guess not i still cant get black ink to print out. it was fine a few days agao, untill i changed the cartridges wow. colors are working fine. So if anyone other then HP can help id appreciate it. i cant get them to resolve my issue. i guess they dont get what ive been trying to tell them. ugh....

Honor Student
Boboster459
Message 20 of 26 (2,684 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do yourself a favor BUY BROTHER LAZER

I have had one for 6 years used only 2 cartridges 8000 pages

no problem {Content Removed}

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation