Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 6988
Windows XP

I am trying to print using 8.5" x 11" glossy photo paper in the lower 250 sheet tray of the HP 6988 printer.  The Windows printer driver will NOT let me select the lower tray when I specify the paper as photo paper. Regular paper I can select but I am printing photos.

I have 3.75" x 6.75" FiloFax paper in the uppder tray which will NOT fit in the lower tray so I can not put the photo paper in the upper tray.

How do I get the printer driver to recodnize photo paper in the lower 250 sheet tray?

I'm running Windows XP SP3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

That is due to mechanical needs due the tray design, it is intended for plain paper only.

I would not suggest feeding an incompatible media as it may damage the rollers.. those are not designed for this kind of paper.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The optional 250 sheet Paper Tray only support a plain paper, not any other type of paper:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-51210-64188-347227-64188-434534-306518-306519.html...

Supports a wide variety of plain paper sizes and types, including A, A4, B5, executive, and legal sizes, plus 16 to 28 pound weights.

HP Recommended

Thanks but if I put photo paper in the lower tray and print on it as if it were plain paper it prints ok.  The photo paper feeds just fine, just can't get the priter to print on it as if it were photo paper. The tray can handle up to 29 lb paper.  Why would HP cripple the printer in this way? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

That is due to mechanical needs due the tray design, it is intended for plain paper only.

I would not suggest feeding an incompatible media as it may damage the rollers.. those are not designed for this kind of paper.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Well , I looked for a different printer but it is very hard to find a printer that can handle 3.75" x 6.75" Filofax paper.

I  have to unload the Filofax paper & then load the photo paper.  Works, but not ideal.

Still looking for an Ethernet inkjet printer that can do 3.75" x 6.75" plain paper & photo papter up to 8.5" x 11" with multiple trays.  I like the HP 6988 except for this paper issue. I have two running right now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.