Question

Student
donwillduc
Message 1 of 4 (5,614 Views)

HP 7410 all-in-one printer drivers uninstall under Windows 7

I've installed the latest drivers for a HP 7410 All-in-one printer on a H/P Laptop (new) with a  Windows 7 64 bit operating system.  The printer is wirelessly networked.  I've installed the drivers twice now and the printer seem to uninstall itself after a few days.  I can no longer locate the printer in printer and devices.  The solution center becomes inoperable.
Student
larsentnt
Message 2 of 4 (5,467 Views)

Re: HP 7410 all-in-one printer drivers uninstall under Windows 7

Exact same thing happening with HP 6300 all-in-one printer.  Drivers "stick" for about 1 week and then stop working.  Today, the printer isn't even showing up in the printer listing any longer. 

Student
benburrows
Message 3 of 4 (5,419 Views)

Re: HP 7410 all-in-one printer drivers uninstall under Windows 7

I am having exactly the same issue with a C4580 All-In-One.

Starting up the "HP Digital Imaging Monitor" from the taskbar gives a message about the "device instalation not being complete" dispite the fact it was previously working fine.

Uninstalling and re-installing fixes the issue every time but this turns a 30 second print or scan into a 20 mimute pain in the arse. I was realy happy with the product untill this started happening.

Win 7 Ultimate (64 Bit)

HP Driver 13.0

Come on HP, this is piss poor.

Tutor
Bpilgram
Message 4 of 4 (5,370 Views)

Re: Disable the HP CUE Device Detection Service

A long winded answer ... the problem is the HP CUE Device Discovery Service.  Disable it using the services.msc utility.

I had the same problem with a 7410 All-in-One that was connected wirelessly to my laptop.  Everything worked fine until I took the laptop somewhere and connectd to a "foreign" wireless network, and then the printer drivers disappeared.

I have a new HP G60-530US laptop with Windows 7 installed (less than 2 months old). It is connected to an HP 7410 All-in-One Printer and a Brother laser printer.

Three times now, the HP 7410 printer has mysteriously disappeared from the installed printers. The Brother printer does not disappear.

To re-install the HP 7410 printer requires disabling the AVS using the Services utility (not just shutting down the AVS (Panda)).

The printer driver works for a week or so, and then must be re-installed.

HP is clueless about the cause or cure for this.

The laptop people referred me to the printer support people and the printer support people referred me to the laptop support people. The last tech support guy suggested that I restore the system on the theory that if the problem persisted it would be a hardware problem and not a software problem. He seemed to miss the fact that the disappearing printer driver software only occured with HP printers.

HP technical support was worthless.

On Vista forums, I've discovered that the disappearing HP printer drivers has been a problem for some time over a wide range of HP printers -- HP does nothing to fix the problem and its help desk techs seem unaware that this problem has been around for a while with Vista. HP techs allege that some of the software has become corrupt and the drivers must be re-installed or that the user must restore the system (and trash all your settings).

The solution identified on those forums is to stop and disable the HP CUE Device Discovery Service. Apparently, this service is used to detect HP printers and add them to the HP Solutions Center software.

In my experience, the HP printer disappears when my laptop comes into range of a "foreign" HP printer with wireless capabilities. For example, my laptop dropped my configured HP wireless printer when I went to an office that had a different wireless HP printer installed. The HP CUE service trashes the existing printer driver even though you do not intend to install and use the "foreign" printer. That would also explain why the printer drivers disappear when visiting a hotel or other location where any HP wireless devices exist. It would also explain why non-HP drivers do not disappear.

I've disabled the CUE Device Service (using the Services utility). I'll see if that works.  The CUE Device Service is not used after you install your printer, but only if you want to install a new printer.  In the meantime, it's a piece of worthless HP software that consumes memory on your machine.

A patch from Microsoft or HP would be a big help to users if the number of posts on this issue are any indication of how pervasive this problem is

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation